Re: X in MLS enforcing problem

Ted X Toth wrote:
If I were to do this I'd use either SetSelectionCreateContext or SetSelectionUseContext, could you explain the difference between them and which I should use?

SetSelectionCreateContext is for setting the context on the clipboard _data_. This is how an SELinux-aware application could specify what type of data the user has made available for pasting. The "x_application_data" security class represents the "object" labeled by this context, and the selection manager is responsible for checking permission on it. The X server doesn't perform any checks on this context. See earlier message [1].

SetSelectionUseContext is for setting the context of the selection object itself. It was intended to be used by a selection manager that supports polyinstantiation. It sets the context of the selection object that the client wants to "use". So for example if there are three PRIMARY selections labeled foo_t, bar_t, and baz_t the selection manager can choose the one to operate on using SetSelectionUseContext.

In the non-polyinstantiated case, SetSelectionUseContext can be used to override the value from x_contexts and set the label on the one object that will be seen by everyone (which is what we want to do with dbus_launch). This only works if the selection doesn't already exist because there's currently no way to change the label on an existing object.

So in summary:

Clipboard data - x_application_data object class
SetSelectionCreateContext / GetSelectionDataContext
checked by selection manager

Clipboard object - x_selection object class
SetSelectionUseContext / GetSelectionContext
checked by X server

One more note: the clipboard data context currently defaults to the selection's context (e.g. clipboard_xselection_t), but I think it might be more logical to default it to the client program's context (user_t). This would require a change to the X server.

[1] http://marc.info/?l=selinux&m=120701081703490&w=2

--
Eamon Walsh <ewalsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
National Security Agency