Re: NetLabel

On Wednesday 04 June 2008 2:55:15 am Justin Mattock wrote:
> Hello; Hopefully this is the right list to post this question,
> after looking at  NetLabel, in dmesg I couldn't help but see:
> [    0.570655] NetLabel: Initializing
> [    0.570660] NetLabel:  domain hash size = 128
> [    0.570663] NetLabel:  protocols = UNLABELED CIPSOv4
> [    0.570730] NetLabel:  unlabeled traffic allowed by default
>
> "unlabeled traffic allowed by default."
> is this similar to selinux (handle_unkown=deny, if so is there an
> option to change this to "unlabeled traffic deny."

Nope, the two are completely unrelated.  By default, NetLabel allows
unlabeled traffic to pass (meaning the netlbl_skbuff_getattr() function
returns an empty secattr and no error, the LSM does the actual packet
pass/drop) so as to keep networking working for the majority of users
who do not configure NetLabel.  If you were to disable unlabeled
traffic using NetLabel only CIPSO and static/fallback (using 2.6.25 or
greater) labeled traffic would be allowed into the system.

Unless you really know what you are doing I wouldn't mess with this
setting.

> Also is there a location for this in the kernel i.g. /proc/sys/net/*
> regards;

There are some sysctl variables which offer control of the
NetLabel/CIPSO functionality they do no toggle the unlabeled allow/deny
behavior, for that you need the netlabel_tools package, specifically
netlabelctl.

 * http://netlabel.sf.net

--
paul moore