Re: Compat_net an pam login problem.

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 09:51 -0700, Scally, Katrina-P54861 wrote:
> I am logging in via console, what I have found is this:
> I have selinux_compat_net=1 in my grub.conf file. If I remove this
> from the file I can indeed login with the latest reference policy and
> pam-0.1.99.6.2-3.26.el5.i386.rpm.
> But I, of course, need to use legacy packet control. I have been
> searching around online and see that I can bypass doing this at boot
> and possibly set compat_net at runtime. I am wondering why having
> this
> on boot would cause login problems, I don't see the connection.
> I am trying to see if I have the same problem when I set compat_net
> during runtime.

compat_net can be set at runtime by writing to /selinux/compat_net, e.g.
	echo 1 > /selinux/compat_net

The login problem suggests that you are encountering some kind of
network permission denial during the login sequence, like attempting to
perform a LDAP or NIS lookup of the user.

If you aren't seeing any avc messages in /var/log/audit/audit.log
or /var/log/messages, you may want to strip dontaudit rules from your
policy and try again.  semodule -DB will do that for you if you have a
recent enough version of policycoreutils; if not, then you can always
build your policy with dontaudit rules stripped via make enableaudit.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency