Re: dpkg bug related to SE Linux

On Tuesday 08 April 2008 02:55, Stephen Smalley <sds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 12:48 -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 13:47 +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> > > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=474339
> > >
> > > When the file_contexts file has an invalid context then dpkg will
> > > crash, see the above bug report.
> > >
> > > dpkg is statically linked against libselinux.
> >
> > Can you reproduce with a simpler caller, e.g. compile matchpathcon from
> > libselinux/utils statically and run it on your corrupted file_contexts
> > file, passing in a pathname that will match the invalid line?

Restorecon doesn't have this problem, neither when dynamically nor statically
linked.

# semanage fcontext -l|grep squid_conf
/etc/squid(/.*)?                                   all files
system_u:object_r:squid_conf_t:s0
/usr/share/squid(/.*)?                             all files
system_u:object_r:squid_conf_t:s0
# restorecon -R -v /etc/squid
restorecon reset /etc/squid context
root:object_r:etc_t:s0->system_u:object_r:squid_conf_t:s0
restorecon set context /etc/squid->system_u:object_r:squid_conf_t:s0
failed:'Invalid argument'
# ldd ./restorecon
        not a dynamic executable
# ./restorecon -R -v /etc/squid
./restorecon reset /etc/squid context
root:object_r:etc_t:s0->system_u:object_r:squid_conf_t:s0
./restorecon set context /etc/squid->system_u:object_r:squid_conf_t:s0
failed:'Invalid argument'

> > I wasn't able to reproduce the bug myself.
> >
> > libselinux does rely on its constructors having run before any functions
> > are called.  dpkg isn't built in such a way as to suppress constructor
> > execution, is it?  What options are passed to gcc when compiling dpkg?

I don't believe that there is anything strange about the way dpkg is built.
The fact that it works in the normal case suggests that constructors are not
the problem.

> Oh, and what version of libselinux and libsepol was dpkg built against?

ii  libselinux1    2.0.59-1       SELinux shared libraries
ii  libsepol1      2.0.25-1       Security Enhanced Linux policy library for c

--
russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Blog

http://www.coker.com.au/sponsorship.html Sponsoring Free Software development