policy package names for Debian

The policy names used in Fedora/RHEL (according to the SELINUXTYPE field
in /etc/selinux/config) are "targeted", "strict", and "mls".

The names currently used in Debian are "refpolicy-targeted"
and "refpolicy-strict".  For my work on MLS in Debian I have started with a
package named "refpolicy-mls" (but hope to release it just as "mls").

I believe that the contents of /etc/selinux/config should match between
distributions as much as possible.  It would be good if documentation for how
to solve problems on Fedora would work for people using Debian.

Also the "refpolicy" part of the name doesn't seem to add any value.  Policy
other than "refpolicy" is old and forgotten, and more importantly there is no
possibility of switching between them.  If a user could choose to have
either "refpolicy-targeted" or the old "targeted" then that would be a good
reason for having the different name.  But as they have no choice it seems
better to have shorter names everywhere (both in the config file and in the
package name).

pn  postfix-policy <none>         (no description available)
un  selinux-policy <none>         (no description available)
ii  selinux-policy 0.0.20061018-5 Headers from the SELinux reference policy fo
pn  selinux-policy <none>         (no description available)
pn  selinux-policy <none>         (no description available)
pn  selinux-policy <none>         (no description available)
ii  selinux-policy 0.0.20061018-5 Targeted variant of the SELinux reference po

The package name "selinux-policy-refpolicy-targeted" is unreasonably long to
type and is too long to be usable in a default operation of "dpkg -l" (see
the above output from "dpkg -l" on an 80 column xterm).

Manoj, I suggest that we change the package names to selinux-pol-targeted,
selinux-pol-strict, and selinux-pol-mls.  That saves typing and results in
the above dpkg command giving useful data.

Currently anyone who is using SE Linux in Debian/Unstable will need to purge
and reinstall their policy (while also rebooting their machine).  The process
of purge and reinstall will handle the name in /etc/selinux/config, and the
problems related to a reboot make the issue of a different policy package
name trivial by comparison.

Manoj, what do you think?

--
russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx