Re: Removing DAC.

On Monday 24 March 2008 23:20, Stephen Smalley <sds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 12:54 -0300, cinthya aranguren wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there any way to avoid o remove DAC controls ? I'd like to have
> > only one security scheme in my system. I mean a pure SElinux system.
> > not DAC + MAC. only MAC.
>
> Not recommended - see prior discussions on this list.
>
> Russell Coker has run SELinux systems with published root password
> before, which approximates the above, but only for demonstration
> purposes - I wouldn't recommend that for production use.

http://www.coker.com.au/selinux/play.html

I still run them now, and I also recommend that people don't do it.  From the
above URL: Note that such machines require a lot of skill if you are to run
them successfully. If you have to ask whether you should run one then the
answer is "no".

In past discussions on this topic people have expressed the desire to avoid
the overhead of Unix permission checks.  It seems obvious that a basic
bit-mask check of two integers (Unix permission modes) is not going to incur
any significant overhead, even when performed for every directory in the
path.  The memory use of the code to check Unix permissions has never been
measured (AFAIK) due to no-one getting a system to work without it and
documenting the results.

I suspect that if someone was to get a Linux kernel to build without Unix
permissions the majority of interest would not come from people who want SE
Linux without Unix permissions but from people who want no access control at
all.  When running an embedded device that only has a single program running
the benefits for any form of access control are often minute (NB it seems
that nowadays most embedded devices are complex enough to benefit
significantly from SE Linux).

--
russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Blog