Re: Removing DAC.

--- Stephen Smalley <sds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > This is a good point. I will experiment with CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE.
> > but .. why SELinux take DAC attributes into account when making
> > decisions ?? this does not violate the separation of "policy" from
> > "Enforcement" ??
>
> SELinux does not use the DAC attributes (uid, gid, mode bits) as part of
> its decision.

I stand corrected. Somehow I thought that uids came into the
equation, but I guess I was wrong.

> SELinux does however control the use of capabilities/privileges in
> accordance with its policy.  And it does have a notion of user identity
> in its security context, although that is separately managed and is
> usually used just as a "role set" construct in modern SELinux (e.g.
> staff_u authorized for staff_r and sysadm_r).

That's were I was confusing things, the security context uid being
a component of the policy that is maintained in addition to the
traditional uid. Thank you for the clarification.

Casey Schaufler
casey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx