Re: selection labeling

Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:
On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 15:45 -0400, Eamon Walsh wrote:
Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:
I ran into an interesting denial:

avc:  denied  { setattr setattr } for request=X11:SetSelectionOwner
comm=dbus-launch
selection=_DBUS_SESSION_BUS_SELECTION_root_3c39a16f05862d57c3d6ef0047356754
scontext=root:staff_r:staff_t
tcontext=system_u:object_r:xselection_t
tclass=x_selection

Other than the double setattr in the permissions, trying to label this
selection for anything but the default doesn't seem possible.  It seems
that this should be type_transitioned, but it didn't seem to work.
Whoops, I know why the double setattr is there. I'll get that fixed, ignore that for now.

We probably need to have wildcarding in the X label support, like the way filenames work. Do you agree?

This is the role's session bus, not the system bus, so the preference
would be to have a type_transition so the selection would be
staff_dbus_xselection_t.  I don't see how we could get this behavior in
x_contexts except by putting in entries for all of the users, which
would be suboptimal.  Especially since in this case where I logged in as
root/staff_r; I could also log in as root/sysadm_r and then in that case
we have a problem since the label would be wrong in one of those cases.

Two thoughts:

1. Do this through D-BUS not X, by modifying the D-BUS daemon to set the selection create context when it creates these selections.

or better yet:

2. Fix D-BUS to provide some other way for people to find out the name of the session bus (if that's what in fact this is for, which I'm still unclear on). Like maybe through a D-BUS service.

--
Eamon Walsh <ewalsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
National Security Agency