Re: How would I go about figuring out if two SELinux MLS Levels intersect?

Stephen Smalley wrote:
On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 12:25 -0500, Stephen Smalley wrote:
On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 17:13 -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

s2:c0-s2:c0.c10 and s2:c9.c10

IE How do I do the arbitration/dominance math in Code?
(cc'ing the list)

You can model it as a permission check between the two contexts, and
then write a MLS constraint in policy that requires dominance or
whatever relationship you want.  Then it is just an avc_has_perm call.
Same thing that we did for permission check in the pam_selinux code to
verify that the user's level is within his range.  Or what we talked
about for applying a permission check in mcstransd to see if the
requestor is allowed to translate the context.  Not sure that ever got
implemented in mcstransd though?

Also, just to note:  the MLS dominance logic already exists within
libsepol and within the kernel security server.  We just have to expose
it via an interface.  One way to do that is to express it as a
permission check, where we already have an interface.  Another way would
be to introduce a new interface specifically for that purpose.

I strongly disagree with exporting the security server logic in this way, that will just encourage people to implement blp in their application instead of using the security server interface to do permission checking. This is based off what I've seen people trying to do, even within the SELinux community, with respect to MLS.