Re: CORBA and network labeling capabilities

On Tuesday 12 February 2008 7:50:31 pm Clarkson, Mike R (US SSA) wrote:
> The problem results from the fact that there are no rules associating
> any of the 3 domains with each other. This means that if I have multiple
> clients and servers, I can't set up rules to specify which clients can
> communicate with which servers. I'm stuck with every client being able
> to communicate with every server. (Actually, I could limit communication
> by running the clients and servers on specified labeled ports, but this
> eliminates any practical method of enforcing MLS constraints)
>
> If the client and server were running on separate hosts, with an IPSec
> tunnel set up between them, the functionality that I'm looking for is
> provided with the IPSec security association object class:
>
> allow sample_client_orbix_client_server_t
> sample_server_orbix_client_server_t:association recvfrom;
>
> Is there some way to get similar functionality when the processes are
> running on the same host? (Can an IPSec tunnel can be created through
> the loopback interface? Or is there a better way to do this?)

Hi Mike,

If you can live with only MLS label information you can use NetLabel/CIPSO to
convey security attributes over the network, including localhost/loopback.
The problem is that the standard CIPSO protocol doesn't have a way to convey
the SELinux type enforcement information so only the effective MLS
sensitivity label can be transferred over the network.  Labeled IPsec does
work over localhost/loopback but as you can imagine it is not an elegant
solution.  Which method you chose largely depends on your requirements,
typically the need for full TE information and performance.

Once things settle down a bit with 2.6.25 and the labeled networking changes
that were just merged I plan on starting work on improved local labeling
which would provide some better options than those listed above.

--
paul moore
linux security @ hp