Deprecating setlocaldefs, preservebools support in libselinux

I'd still like to deprecate setlocaldefs support and preservebools
support in libselinux in the trunk (i.e. libselinux 2.x).  I posted
patches for completely removing such support a long while ago, but those
particular patches would require an ABI change (as they include API
removal) and thus I held off on them, but we could also take the more
intermediate approach of just turning off the functionality by default
in libselinux without disturbing the ABI.

As a refresher, setlocaldefs support refers to the support for pulling
in local boolean and user definitions at policy load time w/o managed
policy, i.e. the approach used in RHEL4 and Fedora 3 and 4 (but not in
Fedora 5 and later or RHEL5).  By default, libselinux still checks for
such definitions and patches them into the in-memory policy at load time
unless /etc/selinux/config has SETLOCALDEFS=0.  I'd like to make
SETLOCALDEFS=0 the default in the trunk and require SETLOCALDEFS=1
in /etc/selinux/config to enable the old behavior.

preservebools support refers to the support for preserving active
boolean values across a policy reload by having libselinux patch the
active values into the in-memory policy at policy load time.  As of
Linux 2.6.22 and later, this is now handled automatically by the kernel
as part of the policy reload and isn't needed in userspace.  I'd like to
also disable this by default in libselinux and perhaps allow it to be
enabled via some /etc/selinux/config setting.

Thoughts?

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency