RE: Policyrep to policydb

Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 14:37 -0500, Joshua Brindle wrote:
>> So we are at the point where we are trying to create a policydb out
>> of the tree in policyrep and are wondering what the best approach is:
>>
>> 1) create an API in libsepol that lets us add each kind of object
>> (symbol, rules, ocontexts, etc). For the sake of comparison this
>> yeilds 14 functions just for symbol tables (symbol_add,
>> role_set_type, user_set_role, level_set_alias and so on).
>>
>> 2) Let libpolicyrep statically link against libsepol. This creates
>> much strangeness such as inconsistencies in the runtime behavior if
>> libsepol changes on the system but libpolicyrep wasn't rebuilt.
>>
>> 3) (Karls suggestion), remove libsepol entirely and replace the
>> libsepol api with wrappers in libpolicyrep.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Does (3) mean fold the useful bits of libsepol code into libpolicyrep?
> If so, why not just fold the useful bits of libpolicyrep into
> libsepol and prune what we don't still need there?  The
> latter is less disruptive to existing packages (both in terms
> of source and binaries).
>
> We presently have a build time dependency on libsepol for
> checkpolicy (and audit2why).  Do we expect that to be
> replaced by libpolicyrep even when building monolithic policy?
>
> We presently have a (originally link-time, now dlopen'd) run
> time dependency on libsepol for libselinux to support policy
>
> I had thought that we wanted to keep them separate as
> libpolicyrep wasn't necessarily going to be required on the
> target system (e.g. for embedded w/ monolithic policy) and
> thus having a minimal libsepol might be useful.  If not, then
> just directly folding libpolicyrep into libsepol makes more
> sense than removing libsepol.

After discussing the alternatives I think we've settled on #1 for the
reasons above (embedded, disruption of the api, etc). It should be
relatively easy as well, there should be roughly a 1:1 correspondence
between nodes in the policyrep tree and function calls. There will
probably be 20-30 new calls exported from libsepol though.