RE: RFC: Per-object manager controls in /selinux/config

KaiGai Kohei wrote:
> Eamon Walsh wrote:
>> I am proposing adding a separate config line for each userspace
>> object manager, as follows:
>>
>> #    permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.
>> #    disabled - SELinux is fully disabled.
>> SELINUX=enforcing
>> +
>> +# SELINUX_MANAGER= can take one of these four values
>> +#    enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced by this object
>> manager. +#    permissive - The object manager prints warnings
>> instead of enforcing. +#    disabled - SELinux is fully disabled by
>> this object manager. +#    default - The object manager will track
>> the system setting. +SELINUX_DBUS=default +SELINUX_XSERVER=permissive
>> +
>> # SELINUXTYPE= type of policy in use. Possible values are:
>> #    targeted - Only targeted network daemons are protected.
>> #    strict - Full SELinux protection.
>
> Eamon,
>
> Could you tell me the purpose of this new feature?
>
> It seems to me this new feature prevents to keep consistency
> of the SELinux state. I think the internal state of userspace
> object managers should be just a copy from the in-kernel reference
> monitor...

For the most part I agree with this. If one treats userspace object
managers differently then it follows that individual object managers
within the kernel (eg., file manager, network, etc) should also be
individually controllable. I don't think this is a good idea for end
systems. Providing an API for developers to control enforcing state for
the purpose of development and debugging is fine I think (which you've
already done).

I also think it is a huge step backwards if we try to make libselinux
aware of different userspace object managers. Object managers should be
able to be added to the system with only policy knowledge so that it is
as transparent as possible.