RE: Recurring SELinux events for similar violations...

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 15:06 -0500, Hasan Rezaul-CHR010 wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> So here is my problem statement:
>
> While running in "Permissive" Mode, and keeping the
> /selinux/avc/cache_threshold at the default 512 value, is there any
> *other* way to make sure that  EVERY  SELinux violation attempt still
> automatically gets logged into the audit.log file ???

Not without patching your kernel, no.  I already explained your options
here.

> Currently, while running in "Permissive" mode, and with the default
> cache_threshold value of 512:
>
> - if a violation is attempted, I see a deny event only once in the
> audit.log file ! Successive violation attempts within the same session
> are NOT logged in the audit.log file  :(  I need to get a DENY for every
> violation attempt during runtime !

Why?  You are already getting one instance of each distinct denial, i.e.
each denial on a different (scontext, tcontext, tclass, permissions)
quadruple will appear exactly once, which is all you need in order to
create allow rules.  Repeating those messages won't yield any more allow
rules, and it does have a cost - it commonly leads to audit flooding and
making the system unusable.

> - When I run in "Enforcing" mode, every single violation does get logged
> in the audit.log file. But at this time, lets just say I CANT afford to
> run in Enforcing mode ! I must run in Permissive mode for now !

Ok, fine.

> - If I change the cache_threshold to 0, every single violation attempt
> does get logged, but I also get some other useless frequent periodic
> violations. Besides, it seems to have performance impacts of course...

I don't understand.  This gives you the behavior you want, but what are
these "useless frequent periodic violations" and why don't you want them
- you just said you wanted every denial.  And yes, there will be a
performance impact, but if you are doing policy development, that
shouldn't matter, and performance testing should always happen _after_
constructing a working policy and moving into enforcing mode.

Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency