Re: [Fwd: type class key]

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 14:51 -0500, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 19:48 +0000, David Howells wrote:
> > Okay, it looks like it's probably the problem I'm thinking of.  If it is, I
> > need to think carefully about how to deal with it.
> >
> > Stephen: Would it be possible for me to create the per-UID keyring without
> > reference to the security label of the current process?
> >
> > The other alternative is to accept that if the label can't be linked because
> > of a security label disagreement than that's that, and we don't give an error.
> >
> > I don't like that second option, though, because that can seriously limit the
> > utility of the per-UID keyring by it being a lottery as to what label it gets
> > created with - basically who gets to try creating it first.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> (taking discussion back on list)
>
> We already provide a way to create a key with a specified label other
> than the current process, via setkeycreatecon(3) aka writing the label
> to /proc/self/attr/keycreate before allocating the key.
>
> So why can't the userland code that is allocating these per-uid keyrings
> use that interface to set the context appropriately for the actual user
> rather than defaulting to its own context?

Ah, wait - this is an automatic allocation of a per-uid keyring upon a
setuid() call, right?

So here we have a kernel-internal allocation of the keyring (so userland
doesn't know it needs to setkeycreatecon, and requiring it to do so
seems a bit clunky), yet on the other hand, we don't presently have a
way to map a Linux uid automatically to a SELinux security context in
the kernel - that's managed in userspace, and a single Linux uid might
ultimately have a number of SELinux security contexts running on its
behalf.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency