Re: Decoder for log messages???

On Thursday 01 November 2007 01:26, Stephen Smalley <sds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 00:17 -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:
> > I removed and reinstalled httpd, and got a bunch of these messages.
> > I'm guessing that dm-0 refers to a devicemapper device (which on my
> > system doesn't seem to actually be in use, so I'm left wondering what
> > the heck...perhaps a shared device number)
>
> device mapper is used by the logical volume manager.
> dmsetup ls?
> cat /sys/block/dm-0/dev?

It's also used by cryptsetup and probably other things.

While LVM has support for persistent (across reboot) ID numbers I don't think
that anyone uses them by default.  I believe that cryptsetup has no support
for persistent IDs, and if you use LVM or cryptsetup on removable media then
the possibility of having two devices want the same ID would make it
difficult or impossible to use them.

So if you have a 6 month old log entry that referrs to dm-0 then it may be
impossible to determine what it was from.

--
russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Blog

http://www.coker.com.au/sponsorship.html Sponsoring Free Software development