Re: What domain should the X server run in

On Saturday 27 October 2007 01:43, Casey Schaufler <casey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > Why would either option be easier for policy writing?  Getting both to
> > work (as has currently been done) is tricky - and we have had repeated
> > breakage along the way.  For ease of policy writing we would support
> > exactly one of the options.
> >
> > I think that having the display manager start a new X server for each
> > login will give the best result.
>
> That certainly has advantages, including making the object reuse
> argument worlds simpler. In the Unix world it has been done both ways.
> Some instances treated the X server as a user application.
> Trix4.0.5epl, B1 evaluated, did it this way. Others made the X server a
> policy enforcing mechanism, and ran it as a system process.

My recollection of playing with Trix some years ago is that it enforced policy
in the X server (and for full functionality required turning off some GL
features that would allow reading/writing outside window borders).

> The important thing is that you have to decide if the X server is a
> policy enforcing entity or if it is not. Once you've made that choice
> it's pretty clear what you need to do. And who's going to get upset.

You make a good point about the conceptual design being clearer if you either
have the X server as a user application or as a policy enforcing system
service.

But it seems to me that the best result is to have it running on behalf of a
user but enforcing access control.  As an analogy consider a SETUID
application such as /bin/passwd, it has policy (or rather enforces policy
requested by the PAM configuration in a modern system) and is run by the user
but transitions to a context that has greater privs.

We could of course have the password change operation on a Unix system be a
system service that a user connects to (I'm sure that I'm not the only person
to have written a CGI-BIN script to change passwords over https or something
conceptually similar).  There is nothing preventing a Unix system being
implemented with passwd, chfn, etc all talking over Unix domain sockets to a
privileged server process that does the work (it would probably be easier to
secure than the current way of doing things).

--
russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Blog

http://www.coker.com.au/sponsorship.html Sponsoring Free Software development