What domain should the X server run in

The X server runs as xdm_xserver_t if it is started from a display
manager.  It runs as user_xserver_t if it is started with startx.

Is the X server part of the user's session or not?

If it is, then it should always run as user_xserver_t, and the display
managers should be "fixed" to label the X server with the user's context
at login time.

It if isn't, then it should always run in the same domain, and
startx/xinit should be "fixed" to transition into this context.

From my perspective I would favor the latter option for now since it's easier to write policy for. The user's individual windows can be labeled with a per-user type, maintaining separation.

--
Eamon Walsh <ewalsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
National Security Agency