Re: SE-DBUS policy

Stephen Smalley wrote:
On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 12:46 +0000, Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:
Is there any documentation on the SELinux behavior on dbus?  From some
discussion in the IRC channel, the policy templates (which is still
basically the NSA example policy stuff) don't match the code.

The templates creates a type:

type [connector domain prefix]_dbusd_[bus owner prefix]_t;

so if you have staff_r's connection to the system bus, you get
staff_dbusd_system_t.  Then there is a type_change so dbus knows what
label to give the connection:

type_change [domain] [bus owner prefix]_dbusd_t:dbus [connector type];

which results in something like this:

type user_mozilla_dbusd_system_t;
type_change user_mozilla_t system_dbusd_t:dbus user_mozilla_dbusd_system_t;

Then based on the template, I believe the premise was that the dbus
permissions would be between these derived types.  However, in the
policy there are no dbus:send_msg rules for these types (except for the
ones given in the templates), and instead rules are against the real
domains, (e.g. allow NetworkManager_t dhcpd_t:dbus send_msg;).  So I
looked in the dbus code, and I didn't see any calls to
security_compute_relabel().  It looks like this bit of policy is dead,
and the templates need to be revised.

Hmm...I see a post by Colin Walters back in Oct 2004 to add such logic
to dbusd along with the corresponding policy patches, but no evidence
that the code was ever merged.  I also see at least one other patch from
Colin that added further dbus permissions, again with no evidence that
it was ever merged.

As far as I know, the dbus-daemon man page is the best documentation on
the SELinux behavior in dbus - it has a description of the configuration
for dbus contexts as well as the checks applied by SELinux.  Hopefully
it is still up to date.

I vaguely recall that at the time I was prototyping things out, and seeing what interest there was in the patches. It could probably be revived if there was sufficient interest; we should step through the use cases for them. The current :dbus object class is coarse but you can do quite a bit with it.

I think you're right though that the policy should probably drop the macros until support for it is included in D-BUS and widely distributed.