MLS in the DoD

Hi Everyone,

I have some, but not a lot, of experience with SELinux.  I've recently learned about the MLS aspect and this interests me a lot.   I manage a number of small projects that have both an unclassified and a classified component.   As I understand the capabilities of MLS, in theory I could merge these functions onto a single hardware platform at a significant total cost savings.  I could also, in theory, implement my own "assurance guard" at a potential savings of over $50K.

There is a lot for me to learn and a lot of the issues are not technical but administrative.  That is, it's not what I "can" do, it's what I "may" do.   I'd like to hear from anyone in the DoD that has successfully implemented an approved/accredited MLS workstation, particularly if it is on a network.   Right now I cannot see how I could ever convince my IA folks to let me run a system with a NIPRNET eth0 and a SIPRNET eth1.

I would welcome private replies if this is not appropriate for the developers list.

Regards,

Gary Huntress
Code 4113
Naval Undersea Warfare Center