Re: systemd_user_runtime_dir_t

On Wednesday, 8 April 2020 4:43:32 PM AEST Topi Miettinen wrote:
> On 8.4.2020 5.19, Russell Coker wrote:
> > What kind of name is that?  It's a poor choice of name by systemd upstream
> > and I don't think we are obliged to copy that bad idea.
>
> The name is related to environment variable XDG_USER_RUNTIME_DIR, which
> is not systemd specific construct:

That's a fine name for an environment variable, clearly indicating that it
points to a directory.

It's a poor name for a domain, making a casual observer think it's a type for
a directory not a domain for a process.

> https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html
>
> So if the name should change, xdg_user_runtime_dir_t might be more
> accurate.

It would be more accurate to have a name that reflects the function of managing
the directory in question.

> On the other hand, the current name reflects that it's
> specifically the service supplied by systemd called
> "runtime-user-dir@.service" which provides the directory. If the
> provider would be something other (/etc/init.d/elogind-mkuserdir), it
> could be equally accurate to label the directory with something else.

If the provider changed to a different process (theoretically we are supposed
to be able to swap out parts of systemd for equivalents) then it should have
the same domain name.

> Though if the result (temporary directory owned by the user) is no
> different in either case from the point of view of SELinux policy, why
> change?

SE Linux is difficult enough to understand without making things needlessly
confusing.