Re: [RFC] Rename *_var_run_t to *_runtime_t

On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 11:52 PM Chris PeBenito <pebenito@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> /var/run has moved to /run on most systems and it's use has increased
> beyond pid files and sockets. Because of this, new types used in /run
> have for some time followed the convention *_runtime_t. This change
> would rename all *_var_run_t types to *_runtime_t.
>
> Since this adds many aliases to the policy, the patch set also drops all
> old backwards-compatibility aliases.
>
> https://github.com/SELinuxProject/refpolicy/pull/106
>
> Any objections to this?

Hello,
I agree with this change.

When I loaded the policy with your patch on my test system, my kernel
logs issued a warning:

SELinux:  Context sysadm_u:sysadm_r:samba_net_t became invalid (unmapped).
SELinux:  Context sysadm_u:sysadm_r:smbcontrol_t became invalid (unmapped).
SELinux:  Context sysadm_u:sysadm_r:winbind_helper_t became invalid (unmapped).

This is because the following optional block from sysadm.te is now dropped:

optional_policy(`
samba_admin(sysadm_t, sysadm_r)
samba_run_smbcontrol(sysadm_t, sysadm_r)
samba_run_smbmount(sysadm_t, sysadm_r)
samba_run_net(sysadm_t, sysadm_r)
samba_run_winbind_helper(sysadm_t, sysadm_r)
')

This block is dropped because it required two types that are not
defined: nmbd_runtime_t and smbd_runtime_t.

In the current refpolicy (git master), there is:

typealias samba_var_run_t alias { nmbd_var_run_t smbd_var_run_t };

Your pull request changes this to:

typealias samba_runtime_t alias { nmbd_var_run_t smbd_var_run_t };

Should nmbd_runtime_t and smbd_runtime_t be changed to samba_runtime_t
in interface samba_admin()?
Other than that, I did not find other issues.

Thanks,
Nicolas