strange daemon startup issue

When I boot kernel 4.9.144 (Debian/Stable kernel) with the Debian policy for
Unstable (which isn't very different to the latest Git refpolicy) /usr/sbin/
ModemManager and /usr/sbin/mysqld run as init_t.

When I boot the same policy with kernel 4.19.16 (Debian/Testing kernel) those
daemons run in modemmanager_t and mysqld_t as desired.

What is the difference between those kernels which would explain this?  Would
it be some interaction with systemd?  I don't expect anyone to just hand me
the answer (although that would be really nice), any clues as to where I
should start investigating this would be great.

The general aim with Debian SE Linux is that you can run the policy with the
kernel from the previous version of Debian.  So this is something I really
want to fix.