Linux Advisory Watch: January 27th, 2012

| LinuxSecurity.com                               Linux Advisory Watch |
| January 27th, 2012                               Volume 13, Number 4 |
| Editorial Team:              Dave Wreski <dwreski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |

Thank you for reading the Linux Advisory Watch Security Newsletter. The
purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick summary of
each week's vendor security bulletins and pointers on methods to improve
the security posture of your open source system.

Vulnerabilities affect nearly every vendor virtually every week, so be
sure to read through to find the updates your distributor have made
available.

Password guessing as an attack vector
-------------------------------------
Using password guessing as an attack vector. Over the years we've been
taught a strong password must be long and complex to be considered
secure. Some of us have taken that notion to heart and always ensure
our passwords are strong. But some don't give a second thought to the
complexity or length of our password.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156412

* Debian: 2394-1: libxml2: Multiple vulnerabilities (Jan 26)
   Many security problems had been fixed in libxml2, a popular library
   to handle XML data files. CVE-2011-3919: [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156655

* Debian: 2393-1: bip: buffer overflow (Jan 25)
   Julien Tinnes reported a buffer overflow in the bip multiuser irc
   proxy which may allow arbitrary code execution by remote users. The
   oldstable distribution (lenny) is not affected by this problem.
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156642

* Debian: 2392-1: openssl: out-of-bounds read (Jan 23)
   Antonio Martin discovered a denial-of-service vulnerability in
   OpenSSL, an implementation of TLS and related protocols. A malicious
   client can cause the DTLS server implementation to crash. Regular,
   TCP-based TLS is not affected by this issue. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156616

* Debian: 2392-1: rails: Multiple vulnerabilities (Jan 23)
   It was discovered that the last security update for Ruby on Rails,
   DSA-2301-1, introduced a regression in the libactionpack-ruby
   package. For the oldstable distribution (lenny), this problem has
   been fixed in [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156615

* Debian: 2391-1: phpmyadmin: Multiple vulnerabilities (Jan 22)
   Several vulnerabilities have been discovered in phpMyAdmin, a tool to
   administer MySQL over the web. The Common Vulnerabilities and
   Exposures project identifies the following problems: [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156603

* Gentoo: 201201-14: MIT Kerberos 5 Applications: Multiple vulnerabilities (Jan 23)
   Multiple vulnerabilities have been found in MIT Kerberos
   5Applications, the most severe of which may allow execution of
   arbitrarycode.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156622

* Gentoo: 201201-13: MIT Kerberos 5: Multiple vulnerabilities (Jan 23)
   Multiple vulnerabilities have been found in MIT Kerberos 5, the
   mostsevere of which may allow remote execution of arbitrary code.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156621

* Gentoo: 201201-12: Tor: Multiple vulnerabilities (Jan 23)
   Multiple vulnerabilities have been found in Tor, the most severe
   ofwhich may allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156620

* Gentoo: 201201-11: Firewall Builder: Privilege escalation (Jan 23)
   Insecure temporary file usage in Firewall Builder could allow
   attackersto overwrite arbitrary files.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156619

* Gentoo: 201201-10: JasPer: User-assisted execution of arbitrary code (Jan 23)
   Multiple memory management errors in JasPer could result in
   executionof arbitrary code or a Denial of Service.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156618

* Gentoo: 201201-09: FreeType: Multiple vulnerabilities (Jan 23)
   Multiple vulnerabilities have been found in FreeType, allowing
   remoteattackers to possibly execute arbitrary code or cause a Denial
   ofService.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156617

* Gentoo: 201201-08: FontForge: User-assisted execution of arbitrary (Jan 23)
   A stack-based buffer overflow flaw in FontForge could result
   inexecution of arbitrary code or a Denial of Service.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156607

* Gentoo: 201201-07: NX Server Free Edition, NX Node: Privilege escalation (Jan 23)
   An unspecified vulnerability in NX Server Free Edition and NX
   Nodecould allow local attackers to gain root privileges.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156606

* Gentoo: 201201-06: iSCSI Enterprise Target: Arbitrary code execution (Jan 23)
   Format string vulnerabilities in iSCSI Enterprise Target could
   resultin execution of arbitrary code or a Denial of Service.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156605

* Gentoo: 201201-05: mDNSResponder: Multiple vulnerabilities (Jan 22)
   Multiple vulnerabilities have been found in mDNSResponder, which
   couldlead to execution of arbitrary code with root privileges.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156604

* Gentoo: 201201-04: Logsurfer: Arbitrary code execution (Jan 20)
   A double-free flaw in Logsurfer allows a remote attacker to
   executearbitrary code.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156600

* Mandriva: 2012:010: cacti (Jan 20)
   ----------------------------------
   Multiple vulnerabilities has been found and corrected in cacti: SQL
   injection vulnerability in auth_login.php in Cacti before 0.8.7h
   allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary SQL commands via the
   login_username parameter (CVE-2011-4824). [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156601

* Red Hat: 2012:0062-01: t1lib: Moderate Advisory (Jan 24)
   Updated t1lib packages that fix multiple security issues are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156640

* Red Hat: 2012:0058-01: glibc: Moderate Advisory (Jan 24)
   Updated glibc packages that fix two security issues and three bugs
   are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. The Red Hat
   Security Response Team has rated this update as having moderate
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156637

* Red Hat: 2012:0059-01: openssl: Moderate Advisory (Jan 24)
   Updated openssl packages that fix multiple security issues are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156638

* Red Hat: 2012:0060-01: openssl: Moderate Advisory (Jan 24)
   Updated openssl packages that fix multiple security issues are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156639

* Red Hat: 2012:0050-01: qemu-kvm: Important Advisory (Jan 23)
   Updated qemu-kvm packages that fix one security issue, one bug, and
   add one enhancement are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.
   The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this update as having
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156623

* Red Hat: 2012:0051-01: kvm: Important Advisory (Jan 23)
   Updated kvm packages that fix two security issues are now available
   for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. The Red Hat Security Response Team
   has rated this update as having [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156624

* Ubuntu: 1349-1: X.Org vulnerability (Jan 26)
   X could be made to start by a user who lacked appropriate
   permissions.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156654

* Ubuntu: 1348-1: ICU vulnerability (Jan 26)
   ICU could be made to crash or run programs as your login if itopened
   specially crafted data.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156649

* Ubuntu: 1342-1: Linux kernel (Oneiric backport) vulnerability (Jan 25)
   The system could be made to run programs as an administrator.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156648

* Ubuntu: 1347-1: Evince vulnerability (Jan 25)
   Evince could be made to crash or run programs as your login if it
   opened aspecially crafted file.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156647

* Ubuntu: 1263-2: OpenJDK 6 regression (Jan 24)
   USN-1263-1 caused a regression when using OpenJDK 6's
   SSL/TLSimplementation.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156641

* Ubuntu: 1346-1: curl vulnerability (Jan 24)
   curl could be tricked into injecting arbitrary data if it handled
   amalicious URL.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156636

* Ubuntu: 1345-1: Linux kernel vulnerabilities (Jan 24)
   Several security issues were fixed in the kernel.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156635

* Ubuntu: 1344-1: linux vulnerabilities (Jan 24)
   Several security issues were fixed in the kernel.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156634

* Ubuntu: 1343-1: Thunderbird vulnerabilities (Jan 24)
   Several security issues were fixed in Thunderbird.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156628

* Ubuntu: 1339-1: QEMU vulnerability (Jan 23)
   A remote attacker could cause QEMU to crash.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156627

* Ubuntu: 1341-1: Linux kernel vulnerabilities (Jan 23)
   Several security issues were fixed in the kernel.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156626

* Ubuntu: 1340-1: Linux kernel (Oneiric backport) vulnerabilities (Jan 23)
   Several security issues were fixed in the kernel.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156625

* Ubuntu: 1337-1: Linux kernel (Natty backport) vulnerabilities (Jan 23)
   Several security issues were fixed in the kernel.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156614

* Ubuntu: 1334-1: libxml2 vulnerabilities (Jan 19)