Linux Advisory Watch: December 30th, 2011

| LinuxSecurity.com                               Linux Advisory Watch |
| December 30th, 2011                             Volume 12, Number 53 |
| Editorial Team:              Dave Wreski <dwreski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |

Thank you for reading the Linux Advisory Watch Security Newsletter. The
purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick summary of
each week's vendor security bulletins and pointers on methods to improve
the security posture of your open source system.

Vulnerabilities affect nearly every vendor virtually every week, so be
sure to read through to find the updates your distributor have made
available.

Password guessing as an attack vector
-------------------------------------
Using password guessing as an attack vector. Over the years we've been
taught a strong password must be long and complex to be considered
secure. Some of us have taken that notion to heart and always ensure
our passwords are strong. But some don't give a second thought to the
complexity or length of our password.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156412

* Debian: 2375-1: krb5, krb5-appl: buffer overflow (Dec 26)
   It was discovered that the encryption support for BSD telnetd
   contains a pre-authentication buffer overflow, which may enable
   remote attackers who can connect to the Telnet port to execute
   arbitrary code with root privileges. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156480

* Debian: 2374-1: openswan: implementation error (Dec 26)
   The information security group at ETH Zurich discovered a denial of
   service vulnerability in the crypto helper handler of the IKE daemon
   pluto. More information can be found in the upstream advisory at
   http://openswan.org/download/CVE-2011-4073/CVE-2011-4073.txt
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156479

* Debian: 2373-1: inetutils: buffer overflow (Dec 25)
   It was discovered that the Kerberos support for telnetd contains a
   pre-authentication buffer overflow, which may enable remote attackers
   who can connect to the Telnet to execute arbitrary code with root
   privileges. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156476

* Debian: 2372-1: heimdal: buffer overflow (Dec 25)
   It was discovered that the Kerberos support for telnetd contains a
   pre-authentication buffer overflow, which may enable remote attackers
   who can connect to the Telnet to execute arbitrary code with root
   privileges. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156475

* Debian: 2371-1: jasper: buffer overflows (Dec 24)
   Two buffer overflows were discovered in JasPer, a library for
   handling JPEG-2000 images, which could lead to the execution of
   arbitrary code. For the oldstable distribution (lenny), this problem
   will be fixed in [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156474

* Debian: 2370-1: unbound: Multiple vulnerabilities (Dec 22)
   It was discovered that Unbound, a recursive DNS resolver, would crash
   when processing certain malformed DNS responses from authoritative
   DNS servers, leading to denial of service. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156465

* Mandriva: 2011:196: ipmitool (Dec 28)
   -------------------------------------
   A vulnerability has been discovered and corrected in ipmitool:
   ipmievd as used in the ipmitool package uses 0666 permissions for its
   ipmievd.pid PID file, which allows local users to kill arbitrary
   processes by writing to this file (CVE-2011-4339). [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156488

* Mandriva: 2011:195: krb5-appl (Dec 28)
   --------------------------------------
   A vulnerability has been discovered and corrected in krb5-appl,
   heimdal and netkit-telnet: An unauthenticated remote attacker can
   cause a buffer overflow and probably execute arbitrary code with the
   privileges of the telnet [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156487

* Mandriva: 2011:194: icu (Dec 27)
   --------------------------------
   A vulnerability has been discovered and corrected in icu: A
   stack-based buffer overflow flaw was found in the way ICU performed
   variant canonicalization for some locale identifiers. If a
   specially-crafted locale representation was opened in an application
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156483

* Mandriva: 2011:193: squid (Dec 27)
   ----------------------------------
   A vulnerability has been discovered and corrected in squid: The
   idnsGrokReply function in Squid before 3.1.16 does not properly free
   memory, which allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service
   (daemon abort) via a DNS reply containing a CNAME record [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156482

* Mandriva: 2011:192: mozilla (Dec 23)
   ------------------------------------
   Security issues were identified and fixed in mozilla firefox and
   thunderbird: The SVG implementation in Mozilla Firefox 8.0,
   Thunderbird 8.0, and SeaMonkey 2.5 does not properly interact with
   DOMAttrModified event [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156473

* Red Hat: 2011:1854-01: krb5-appl: Critical Advisory (Dec 28)
   Updated krb5-appl packages that fix one security issue are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.0 and 6.1 Extended Update
   Support. The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this update as
   having critical [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156494

* Red Hat: 2011:1853-01: krb5: Critical Advisory (Dec 28)
   Updated krb5 packages that fix one security issue are now available
   for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 Extended Life Cycle Support, 5.3 Long
   Life and 5.6 Extended Update Support [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156493

* Red Hat: 2011:1852-02: krb5-appl: Critical Advisory (Dec 27)
   Updated krb5-appl packages that fix one security issue are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156486

* Red Hat: 2011:1851-01: krb5: Critical Advisory (Dec 27)
   Updated krb5 packages that fix one security issue are now available
   for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 and 5. The Red Hat Security Response
   Team has rated this update as having Critical [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156485

* Red Hat: 2011:1849-01: kernel: Important Advisory (Dec 22)
   Updated kernel packages that fix one security issue and various bugs
   are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. The Red Hat
   Security Response Team has rated this update as having [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156466

* Ubuntu: 1254-1: Thunderbird vulnerabilities (Dec 22)