Linux Advisory Watch: October 28th, 2011

| LinuxSecurity.com                               Linux Advisory Watch |
| October 28th, 2011                              Volume 12, Number 44 |
| Editorial Team:              Dave Wreski <dwreski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |

Thank you for reading the Linux Advisory Watch Security Newsletter. The
purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick summary of
each week's vendor security bulletins and pointers on methods to improve
the security posture of your open source system.

Lots of Ubuntu advisories this week. Keep your systems updated.

Vulnerabilities affect nearly every vendor virtually every week, so be
sure to read through to find the updates your distributor have made
available.

What You Need to Know About Linux Rootkits
Rootkits are a way attackers hide their tracks and keep access to the
machines they control.	The good rootkits are very hard to detect and
remove. They can be running on ones computer and no one can even know
they have been running. Read more to learn how to detect them on your
system.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154709

* Debian: 2329-1: torque: buffer overflow (Oct 27)
   Bartlomiej Balcerek discovered several buffer overflows in torque
   server, a PBS-derived batch processing server. This allows an
   attacker to crash the service or execute arbitrary code with
   privileges of the server via crafted job or host names. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156112

* Debian: 2328-1: freetype: missing input sanitising (Oct 24)
   It was discovered that missing input sanitising in Freetype's glyph
   handling could lead to memory corruption, resulting in denial of
   service or the execution of arbitrary code. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156086

* Debian: 2327-1: libfcgi-perl: authentication bypass (Oct 24)
   Ferdinand Smit discovered that libfcgi-perl, a Perl module for
   writing FastCGI applications, is incorrectly restoring environment
   variables of a prior request in subsequent requests. In some cases
   this may lead to authentication bypasses or worse. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156080

* Debian: 2326-1: pam: Multiple vulnerabilities (Oct 24)
   Kees Cook of the ChromeOS security team discovered a buffer overflow
   in pam_env, a PAM module to set environment variables through the PAM
   stack, which allowed the execution of arbitrary code. An additional
   issue in argument parsing allows denial of service. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156079

* Debian: 2325-1: kfreebsd-8: privilege escalation/denial (Oct 23)
   Buffer overflow in the "linux emulation" support in FreeBSD kernel
   allows local users to cause a denial of service (panic) and possibly
   execute arbitrary code by calling the bind system call with a long
   path for a UNIX-domain socket, which is not properly handled when the
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156073

* Debian: 2324-1: wireshark: programming error (Oct 20)
   The Microsoft Vulnerability Research group discovered that insecure
   load path handling could lead to execution of arbitrary Lua script
   code. For the oldstable distribution (lenny), this problem has been
   fixed in [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156049

* Gentoo: 201110-24: Squid: Multiple vulnerabilities (Oct 26)
   Multiple vulnerabilities were found in Squid allowing attackers
   toexecute arbitrary code or cause a Denial of Service.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156109

* Gentoo: 201110-25: Pure-FTPd: Multiple vulnerabilities (Oct 26)
   Multiple vulnerabilities were found in Pure-FTPd allowing attackers
   toinject FTP commands or cause a Denial of Service.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156110

* Gentoo: 201110-26: libxml2: Multiple vulnerabilities (Oct 26)
   Multiple vulnerabilities were found in libxml2 which could lead
   toexecution of arbitrary code or a Denial of Service.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156111

* Gentoo: 201110-23: Apache mod_authnz_external: SQL injection (Oct 25)
   An input sanitation flaw in mod_authnz_external allows remote
   attackerto conduct SQL injection.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156099

* Gentoo: 201110-22: PostgreSQL: Multiple vulnerabilities (Oct 25)
   Multiple vulnerabilities in the PostgreSQL server and client
   allowremote attacker to conduct several attacks, including the
   execution ofarbitrary code and Denial of Service.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156088

* Gentoo: 201110-21: Asterisk: Multiple vulnerabilities (Oct 24)
   Multiple vulnerabilities in Asterisk might allow unauthenticated
   remoteattackers to execute arbitrary code.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156082

* Gentoo: 201110-20: Clam AntiVirus: Multiple vulnerabilities (Oct 23)
   Multiple vulnerabilities were found in Clam AntiVirus, the most
   severeof which may allow the execution of arbitrary code.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156072

* Gentoo: 201110-19: X.Org X Server: Multiple vulnerabilities (Oct 22)
   Multiple vulnerabilities in the X.Org X server might allow
   localattackers to disclose information.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156067

* Gentoo: 201110-18: rgmanager: Privilege escalation (Oct 22)
   A vulnerability was found in rgmanager, allowing for
   privilegeescalation.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156066

* Gentoo: 201110-17: Avahi: Denial of Service (Oct 22)
   Multiple vulnerabilities were found in Avahi, allowing for Denial
   ofService.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156065

* Gentoo: 201110-16: Cyrus IMAP Server: Multiple vulnerabilities (Oct 22)
   The Cyrus IMAP Server is affected by multiple vulnerabilities
   whichcould potentially lead to the remote execution of arbitrary code
   or aDenial of Service.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156064

* Gentoo: 201110-15: GnuPG: User-assisted execution of arbitrary code (Oct 22)
   The GPGSM utility included in GnuPG contains a
   use-after-freevulnerability that may allow an unauthenticated remote
   attacker toexecute arbitrary code.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156063

* Gentoo: 201110-14: D-Bus: Multiple vulnerabilities (Oct 21)
   Multiple vulnerabilities were found in D-Bus, the worst of
   whichallowing for a symlink attack.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156062

* Mandriva: 2011:161: postgresql (Oct 24)
   ---------------------------------------
   A vulnerability was discovered and corrected in postgresql:
   contrib/pg_crypto&#039;s blowfish encryption code could give wrong
   results on platforms where char is signed (which is most), leading to
   encrypted passwords being weaker than they should be (CVE-2011-2483).
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156083

* Mandriva: 2011:160: krb5 (Oct 22)
   ---------------------------------
   Multiple vulnerabilities has been found and corrected in krb5: The
   krb5_ldap_lockout_audit function in the Key Distribution Center (KDC)
   in MIT Kerberos 5 (aka krb5) 1.8 through 1.8.4 and 1.9 through 1.9.1,
   when the LDAP back end is used, allows remote attackers to cause
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156069

* Mandriva: 2011:159: krb5 (Oct 22)
   ---------------------------------
   Multiple vulnerabilities has been found and corrected in krb5: The
   kdb_ldap plugin in the Key Distribution Center (KDC) in MIT Kerberos
   5 (aka krb5) 1.9 through 1.9.1, when the LDAP back end is used,
   allows remote attackers to cause a denial of [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156068

* Mandriva: 2011:158: phpmyadmin (Oct 21)
   ---------------------------------------
   Multiple vulnerabilities has been found and corrected in phpmyadmin:
   Missing sanitization on the table, column and index names leads to
   XSS vulnerabilities (CVE-2011-3181). [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156054

* Mandriva: 2011:157: freetype2 (Oct 21)
   --------------------------------------
   A vulnerability has been discovered and corrected in freetype2:
   FreeType allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code or cause a
   denial of service (memory corruption) via a crafted font
   (CVE-2011-3256). [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156053

* Red Hat: 2011:1409-01: openssl: Moderate Advisory (Oct 26)
   Updated openssl packages that fix one security issue are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156108

* Red Hat: 2011:1402-01: freetype: Important Advisory (Oct 25)
   Updated freetype packages that fix multiple security issues are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, 5, and 6. The Red Hat
   Security Response Team has rated this update as having [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156101

* Red Hat: 2011:1401-01: xen: Moderate Advisory (Oct 24)
   Updated xen packages that fix one security issue and three bugs are
   now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156081

* Red Hat: 2011:1391-01: httpd: Moderate Advisory (Oct 20)
   Updated httpd packages that fix two security issues and one bug are
   now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156048

* Red Hat: 2011:1386-01: kernel: Important Advisory (Oct 20)
   Updated kernel packages that fix multiple security issues, several
   bugs, and add one enhancement are now available for Red Hat
   Enterprise Linux 5. The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this
   update as having [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156046

* Red Hat: 2011:1392-01: httpd: Moderate Advisory (Oct 20)
   Updated httpd packages that fix one security issue and one bug are
   now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 and 5. The Red Hat
   Security Response Team has rated this update as having moderate
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156047

* Ubuntu: 1248-1: KDE-Libs vulnerability (Oct 25)
   KDE-Libs could improperly display fraudulent security certificates.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156103

* Ubuntu: 1238-2: Puppet regression (Oct 25)
   USN-1238-1 caused a regression on Ubuntu 11.04.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156102

* Ubuntu: 1247-1: Nova vulnerability (Oct 25)
   Nova could be made to expose sensitive information.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156100

* Ubuntu: 1241-1: Linux kernel (i.MX51) vulnerabilities (Oct 25)
   Several security issues were fixed in the kernel.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156093

* Ubuntu: 1239-1: Linux kernel (EC2) vulnerabilities (Oct 25)
   Several security issues were fixed in the kernel.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156094

* Ubuntu: 1242-1: Linux kernel (Maverick backport) vulnerabilities (Oct 25)
   Several security issues were fixed in the kernel.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156095

* Ubuntu: 1243-1: Linux kernel vulnerabilities (Oct 25)
   Several security issues were fixed in the kernel.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156096

* Ubuntu: 1245-1: Linux kernel (Marvell DOVE) vulnerabilities (Oct 25)
   Several security issues were fixed in the kernel.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156097

* Ubuntu: 1240-1: Linux kernel (Marvell DOVE) vulnerabilities (Oct 25)
   Several security issues were fixed in the kernel.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156098

* Ubuntu: 1238-1: Puppet vulnerability (Oct 24)
   The Puppet master server could be impersonated in certain
   configurations.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156087

* Ubuntu: 1237-1: PAM vulnerabilities (Oct 24)
   PAM could be made to crash or run programs as an administrator.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156084

* Ubuntu: 1232-3: X.Org X server vulnerability (Oct 20)
   The X server could be made to crash or run programs as an
   administrator.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156052

* Ubuntu: 1235-1: Open-iSCSI vulnerability (Oct 20)
   iscsi_discovery in open-iscsi could be made to overwrite files as
   theadministrator.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/156051

* Ubuntu: 1236-1: Linux kernel vulnerabilities (Oct 20)