Linux Advisory Watch: October 7th, 2011

| LinuxSecurity.com                               Linux Advisory Watch |
| October 7th, 2011                               Volume 12, Number 41 |
| Editorial Team:              Dave Wreski <dwreski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |

Thank you for reading the Linux Advisory Watch Security Newsletter. The
purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick summary of
each week's vendor security bulletins and pointers on methods to improve
the security posture of your open source system.

Vulnerabilities affect nearly every vendor virtually every week, so be
sure to read through to find the updates your distributor have made
available.

Free Online security course (LearnSIA) - A Call for Help

The Survivability and Information Assurance (SIA) course was originally
developed by a team at Carnegie Mellon, led by Lawrence Rogers. Back in
2010, I requested a license to continue the development of the course
because it provides useful information on Information Assurance.  Also,
this course will always be freely available for anyone to use in the
classroom or self-study.  There are three parts to the LearnSIA
curriculum.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155939

* Debian: 2318-1: cyrus-imapd-2.2: Multiple vulnerabilities (Oct 6)
   Multiple security issues have been discovered in cyrus-imapd, a
   highly scalable mail system designed for use in enterprise
   environments. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project
   identifies the following problems: [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155961

* Debian: 2317-1: icedove: Multiple vulnerabilities (Oct 5)
   CVE-2011-2372 Mariusz Mlynski discovered that websites could open a
   download dialog - which has "open" as the default action -, while a
   user [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155949

* Debian: 2316-1: quagga: Multiple vulnerabilities (Oct 5)
   Riku Hietamaki, Tuomo Untinen and Jukka Taimisto discovered several
   vulnerabilities in Quagga, an Internet routing daemon: CVE-2011-3323
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155947

* Debian: 2315-1: openoffice.org: multiple vulnerabilities (Oct 5)
   Red Hat, Inc. security researcher Huzaifa Sidhpurwala reported
   multiple vulnerabilities in the binary Microsoft Word (doc) file
   format importer of OpenOffice.org, a full-featured office
   productivity suite that provides a near drop-in replacement for
   Microsoft(R) Office. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155945

* Debian: 2314-1: puppet: Multiple vulnerabilities (Oct 3)
   Multiple security issues have been discovered in puppet, a
   centralized configuration management system. The Common
   Vulnerabilities and Exposures project identifies the following
   problems: [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155930

* Debian: 2313-1: iceweasel: Multiple vulnerabilities (Sep 29)
   Several vulnerabilities have been found in Iceweasel, a web browser
   based on Firefox: CVE-2011-2372 [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155913

* Debian: 2312-1: iceape: Multiple vulnerabilities (Sep 29)
   Several vulnerabilities have been found in the Iceape internet suite,
   an unbranded version of Seamonkey: CVE-2011-2372 [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155910

* Mandriva: 2011:143: rpm (Oct 5)
   -------------------------------
   Multiple flaws were found in the way the RPM library parsed package
   headers. An attacker could create a specially-crafted RPM package
   that, when queried or installed, would cause rpm to crash or,
   potentially, execute arbitrary code (CVE-2011-3378). [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155948

* Mandriva: 2011:142: mozilla-thunderbird (Oct 1)
   Security issues were identified and fixed in mozilla firefox and
   thunderbird: Mozilla Firefox before 3.6.23 and 4.x through 6,
   Thunderbird before 7.0, and SeaMonkey before 2.4 do not prevent the
   starting of a download [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155924

* Mandriva: 2011:141: firefox (Oct 1)
   -----------------------------------
   Security issues were identified and fixed in mozilla firefox and
   thunderbird: Mozilla Firefox before 3.6.23 and 4.x through 6,
   Thunderbird before 7.0, and SeaMonkey before 2.4 do not prevent the
   starting of a download [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155923

* Mandriva: 2011:140: mozilla-thunderbird (Oct 1)
   Security issues were identified and fixed in mozilla firefox and
   thunderbird: Mozilla Firefox before 3.6.23 and 4.x through 6,
   Thunderbird before 7.0, and SeaMonkey before 2.4 do not prevent the
   starting of a download [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155922

* Mandriva: 2011:139: firefox (Oct 1)
   -----------------------------------
   Security issues were identified and fixed in mozilla firefox and
   thunderbird: Mozilla Firefox before 3.6.23 and 4.x through 6,
   Thunderbird before 7.0, and SeaMonkey before 2.4 do not prevent the
   starting of a download [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155921

* Red Hat: 2011:1359-01: xorg-x11-server: Moderate Advisory (Oct 6)
   Updated xorg-x11-server packages that fix multiple security issues
   are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and 6. The Red Hat
   Security Response Team has rated this update as having moderate
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155959

* Red Hat: 2011:1360-01: xorg-x11: Moderate Advisory (Oct 6)
   Updated xorg-x11 packages that fix multiple security issues are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155960

* Red Hat: 2011:1356-01: openswan: Moderate Advisory (Oct 5)
   Updated openswan packages that fix one security issue are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155952

* Red Hat: 2011:1350-01: kernel: Important Advisory (Oct 5)
   Updated kernel packages that fix several security issues, various
   bugs, and add one enhancement are now available for Red Hat
   Enterprise Linux 6. The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this
   update as having [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155951

* Red Hat: 2011:1349-01: rpm: Important Advisory (Oct 3)
   Updated rpm packages that fix multiple security issues are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, 5, and 6, and Red Hat
   Enterprise Linux 3 Extended Life Cycle Support, 5.3 Long Life, 5.6
   Extended Update Support, and 6.0 Extended Update Support. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155931

* Ubuntu: 1223-2: Puppet regression (Oct 5)
   USN-1223-1 caused a regression with managing SSH authorized_keys
   files.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155950

* Ubuntu: 1222-2: Mozvoikko, ubufox, webfav update (Oct 4)
   This update provides packages compatible with Firefox 7.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155940

* Ubuntu: 1225-1: Linux kernel vulnerabilities (Oct 4)
   Multiple kernel flaws have been fixed.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155934

* Ubuntu: 1224-1: rsyslog vulnerability (Oct 3)
   Rsyslog could be made to crash if it processed a specially crafted
   message.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155933

* Ubuntu: 1222-1: Firefox vulnerabilities (Sep 29)
   Firefox could be made to crash or possibly run programs as your login
   if itopened a malicious website.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155915

* Ubuntu: 1221-1: Mutt vulnerability (Sep 29)
   An attacker could trick mutt into trusting a rogue server.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155914

* Ubuntu: 1219-1: Linux kernel (Maverick backport) vulnerabilities (Sep 29)
   Multiple kernel flaws have been fixed.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155911

* Ubuntu: 1220-1: Linux kernel (OMAP4) vulnerabilities (Sep 29)