Linux Advisory Watch: August 5th, 2011

| LinuxSecurity.com                               Linux Advisory Watch |
| August 5th, 2011                                Volume 12, Number 32 |
| Editorial Team:              Dave Wreski <dwreski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |
|                       Benjamin D. Thomas <bthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |

Thank you for reading the Linux Advisory Watch Security Newsletter. The
purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick summary of
each week's vendor security bulletins and pointers on methods to improve
the security posture of your open source system.

Vulnerabilities affect nearly every vendor virtually every week, so be
sure to read through to find the updates your distributor have made
available.

What You Need to Know About Linux Rootkits
Rootkits are a way attackers hide their tracks and keep access to the
machines they control.	The good rootkits are very hard to detect and
remove. They can be running on ones computer and no one can even know
they have been running. Read more to learn how to detect them on your
system.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154709

* Debian: 2288-1: libsndfile: integer overflow (Jul 28)
   Hossein Lotfi discovered an integer overflow in libsndfile's code to
   parse Paris Audio files, which could potentially lead to the
   execution of arbitrary code. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155557

* Debian: 2287-1: libpng: Multiple vulnerabilities (Jul 28)
   The PNG library libpng has been affected by several vulnerabilities.
   The most critical one is the identified as CVE-2011-2690. Using this
   vulnerability, an attacker is able to overwrite memory with an
   arbitrary amount of data controlled by her via a crafted PNG image.
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155551

* Red Hat: 2011:1106-01: kernel: Moderate Advisory (Aug 2)
   Updated kernel packages that fix one security issue, several bugs,
   and add various enhancements are now available for Red Hat Enterprise
   Linux 6.0 Extended Update Support. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155577

* Red Hat: 2011:1110-01: foomatic: Moderate Advisory (Aug 1)
   An updated foomatic package that fixes one security issue is now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155572

* Red Hat: 2011:1109-01: foomatic: Moderate Advisory (Aug 1)
   An updated foomatic package that fixes one security issue is now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 and 5. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155571

* Red Hat: 2011:1105-01: libpng: Moderate Advisory (Jul 28)
   Updated libpng packages that fix multiple security issues are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155556

* Red Hat: 2011:1104-01: libpng: Moderate Advisory (Jul 28)
   Updated libpng packages that fix two security issues are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155555

* Red Hat: 2011:1103-01: libpng: Moderate Advisory (Jul 28)
   Updated libpng and libpng10 packages that fix one security issue are
   now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155553

* Red Hat: 2011:1102-01: libsoup: Moderate Advisory (Jul 28)
   Updated libsoup packages that fix one security issue are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155554

* Slackware: 2011-210-02: dhcpcd: Security Update (Jul 29)
   New dhcpcd packages are available for Slackware 13.0, 13.1, 13.37,
   and -current to fix security issues.	[More Info...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155561

* Slackware: 2011-210-01: libpng: Security Update (Jul 29)
   New libpng packages are available for Slackware 8.1, 9.0, 9.1, 10.0,
   10.1, 10.2, 11.0, 12.0, 12.1, 12.2, 13.0, 13.1, 13.37, and -current
   to fix security issues.  [More Info...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155562

* Slackware: 2011-210-03: samba: Security Update (Jul 29)
   New samba packages are available for Slackware 13.1, 13.37, and
   -current to fix security issues.  [More Info...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155563

* SuSE: 2011-032: IBM Java 5 (Aug 4)
   ----------------------------------
   IBM Java 1.5.0 SR12 FP5 has been released fixing bugs and security
   issues. Following security issues were fixed: CVE-2011-0865:
   Unspecified vulnerability in the Java Runtime Environment (JRE)
   component in Oracle Java SE 6 Update 25 and earlier,	[More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155595

* Ubuntu: 1183-1: Linux kernel vulnerabilities (Aug 3)
   Multiple kernel flaws have been fixed.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155578

* Ubuntu: 1181-1: libsoup2.4 vulnerability (Jul 28)
   An attacker could send crafted URLs to a SoupServer application and
   obtainunintended access to files.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155558

* Ubuntu: 1180-1: libvirt vulnerability (Jul 28)
   An authenticated attacker could send crafted input to libvirt and
   cause itto crash.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155552

* Ubuntu: 1179-1: ClamAV vulnerability (Jul 28)
   An attacker could send crafted input to ClamAV and cause it tocrash.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155546

* Pardus: 2011-103: libsndfile: Arbitrary Code (Aug 4)
   A vulnerability has been fixed in libsndfile.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155588

* Pardus: 2011-102: libvirt: Multiple Vulnerabilities (Aug 4)
   Multiple vulnerabilities have been fixed in libvirt.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155587

* Pardus: 2011-101: Ruby: Denial of Service (Aug 4)
   A vulnerability has been fixed in ruby, which can be used by local
   attacker to possibly cause denial of service.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/155586

* Pardus: 2011-100: Bind: Denial of Service (Aug 4)