Linux Advisory Watch: March 18th, 2011

| LinuxSecurity.com                               Linux Advisory Watch |
| March 18th, 2011                                Volume 12, Number 12 |
| Editorial Team:              Dave Wreski <dwreski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |
|                       Benjamin D. Thomas <bthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |

Thank you for reading the Linux Advisory Watch Security Newsletter. The
purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick summary of
each week's vendor security bulletins and pointers on methods to improve
the security posture of your open source system.

Vulnerabilities affect nearly every vendor virtually every week, so be
sure to read through to find the updates your distributor have made
available.

Review: The Official Ubuntu Book
--------------------------------
If you haven't used Linux before, are new to Ubuntu, or would like a
quick update on the latest in open source advancements for the desktop,
then The Official Ubuntu Book is a great place to start.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153159

* Debian: 2186-2: Security Summary: Summary (Mar 18)
   Security Report Summary

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154647

* Debian: 2194-1: libvirt: insufficient checks (Mar 18)
   It was discovered that libvirt, a library for interfacing with
   different virtualization systems, did not properly check for
   read-only connections. This allowed a local attacker to perform a
   denial of service (crash) or possibly escalate privileges. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154643

* Debian: 2193-1: libcgroup: Multiple vulnerabilities (Mar 16)
   Several issues have been discovered in libcgroup, a library to
   control and monitor control groups: CVE-2011-1006 [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154636

* Debian: 2192-1: chromium-browser: Multiple vulnerabilities (Mar 15)
   Several vulnerabilities were discovered in the Chromium browser. The
   Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project identifies the following
   problems: [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154627

* Debian: 2191-1: proftpd-dfsg: Multiple vulnerabilities (Mar 14)
   Several vulnerabilities have been discovered in ProFTPD, a versatile,
   virtual-hosting FTP daemon: CVE-2008-7265 [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154621

* Debian: 2190-1: wordpress: Multiple vulnerabilities (Mar 11)
   Two XSS bugs and one potential information disclosure issue were
   discovered in wordpress, a weblog manager. The Common Vulnerabilities
   and Exposures project identifies the [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154611

* Debian: 2189-1: chromium-browser: Multiple vulnerabilities (Mar 10)
   Several vulnerabilities were discovered in the Chromium browser. The
   Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project identifies the following
   problems: [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154602

* Debian: 2188-1: webkit: Multiple vulnerabilities (Mar 10)
   Several vulnerabilities have been discovered in webkit, a Web content
   engine library for Gtk+. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures
   project identifies the following problems: [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154598

* Debian: 2187-1: icedove: Multiple vulnerabilities (Mar 10)
   Several vulnerabilities have been discovered in Icedove, an unbranded
   version of the Thunderbird mail/news client. CVE-2010-1585 [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154597

* Debian: 2186-1: iceweasel: Multiple vulnerabilities (Mar 10)
   Several vulnerabilities have been discovered in Iceweasel, a web
   browser based on Firefox. The included XULRunner library provides
   rendering services for several other applications included in Debian.
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154596

* Red Hat: 2011:0364-01: java-1.5.0-ibm: Critical Advisory (Mar 17)
   Updated java-1.5.0-ibm packages that fix several security issues are
   now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Extras, and Red Hat
   Enterprise Linux 5 and 6 Supplementary. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154641

* Red Hat: 2011:0357-01: java-1.6.0-ibm: Critical Advisory (Mar 16)
   Updated java-1.6.0-ibm packages that fix several security issues are
   now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Extras, and Red Hat
   Enterprise Linux 5 and 6 Supplementary. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154631

* Red Hat: 2011:0356-01: krb5: Important Advisory (Mar 16)
   Updated krb5 packages that fix one security issue are now available
   for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. The Red Hat Security Response Team
   has rated this update as having [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154630

* Red Hat: 2011:0347-01: openldap: Moderate Advisory (Mar 10)
   Updated openldap packages that fix three security issues are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154606

* Red Hat: 2011:0330-01: kernel-rt: Important Advisory (Mar 10)
   Updated kernel-rt packages that fix multiple security issues and
   three bugs are now available for Red Hat Enterprise MRG 1.3. The Red
   Hat Security Response Team has rated this update as having [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154605

* Red Hat: 2011:0346-01: openldap: Moderate Advisory (Mar 10)
   Updated openldap packages that fix one security issue and one bug are
   now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154604

* Red Hat: 2011:0345-01: qemu-kvm: Moderate Advisory (Mar 10)
   Updated qemu-kvm packages that fix one security issue are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154603

* Slackware: 2011-070-01: subversion: Security Update (Mar 11)
   New subversion packages are available for Slackware 12.0, 12.1, 12.2,
   13.0, 13.1, and -current to fix a security issue.  [More Info...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154608

* SuSE: 2011-013: Mozilla Firefox (Mar 15)
   The MozillaFirefox browser was updated to version 3.6.15, fixing
   various security issues. Additionally Mozilla Seamonkey was updated
   to version 2.0.12 and Mozilla Thunderbird was updated to version
   3.1.8 on openSUSE 11.2-11.4. The SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 SP3 release
   of MozillaFirefox is still  [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154624

* Ubuntu: 1079-3: OpenJDK 6 vulnerabilities (Mar 17)
   USN-1079-2 fixed vulnerabilities in OpenJDK 6 for armel
   (ARM)architectures in Ubuntu 9.10 and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. This update
   fixesvulnerabilities in OpenJDK 6 for armel (ARM) architectures for
   Ubuntu10.10. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154640

* Ubuntu: 1085-2: tiff regression (Mar 14)
   USN-1085-1 fixed vulnerabilities in the system TIFF library. The
   upstreamfixes were incomplete and created problems for certain
   CCITTFAX4 files.This update fixes the problem. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154623

* Ubuntu: 1087-1: libvpx vulnerability (Mar 11)
   Chris Evans discovered that libvpx did not properly perform
   boundschecking. If an application using libvpx opened a specially
   crafted WebMfile, an attacker could cause a denial of service.
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154612