Linux Advisory Watch: November 19th, 2010

| LinuxSecurity.com                               Linux Advisory Watch |
| November 19th, 2010                             Volume 11, Number 47 |
| Editorial Team:              Dave Wreski <dwreski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |
|                       Benjamin D. Thomas <bthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |

Thank you for reading the Linux Advisory Watch Security Newsletter. The
purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick summary of
each week's vendor security bulletins and pointers on methods to improve
the security posture of your open source system.

Vulnerabilities affect nearly every vendor virtually every week, so be
sure to read through to find the updates your distributor have made
available.

Review: Zabbix 1.8 Network Monitoring
-------------------------------------
If you have anything more than a small home network, you need to be
monitoring the status of your systems to ensure they are providing the
services they were designed to provide.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152990

-->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!  <--
-->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf             <--

* EnGarde Secure Community 3.0.22 Now Available!
   Guardian Digital is happy to announce the release of EnGarde Secure
   Community 3.0.22 (Version 3.0, Release 22).  This release includes
   many updated packages and bug fixes and some feature enhancements to
   the EnGarde Secure Linux Installer and the SELinux policy.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/145668

* Debian: 2038-3: pidgin: Multiple vulnerabilities (Nov 13)
   The packages for Pidgin released as DSA 2038-2 had a regression, as
   they unintentionally disabled the Silc, Simple, and Yahoo instant
   messaging protocols. This update restore that functionality. For
   reference the original advisory text below. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153713

* Gentoo: 201011-01: GNU C library: Multiple vulnerabilities (Nov 15)
   Multiple vulnerabilities were found in glibc, the worst of
   whichallowing local attackers to execute arbitrary code as root.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153725

* Mandriva: 2010:239: php (Nov 19)
   --------------------------------
   A  possible double free flaw was found in the imap extension for php
   (CVE-2010-4150). A GC corrupting flaw was found in Zend/zend_gc.c for
   php-5.3.x that under certain circumstances could case a segmention
   fault (crash). [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153761

* Mandriva: 2010:238: openssl (Nov 17)
   ------------------------------------
   A vulnerability was discovered in openssl that causes a race
   condition within the TLS extension parsing code and which can be
   exploited to cause a heap-based buffer overflow (CVE-2010-3864).
   Packages for 2009.0 are provided as of the Extended Maintenance
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153751

* Mandriva: 2010:237: perl-CGI (Nov 16)
   -------------------------------------
   A new version of the CGI Perl module has been released to CPAN, which
   fixes several security bugs which directly affect Bugzilla (these two
   security bugs where first discovered as affecting Bugzilla, then
   identified as being bugs in CGI.pm itself). [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153738

* Mandriva: 2010:236: freetype2 (Nov 16)
   --------------------------------------
   Multiple vulnerabilities were discovered and corrected in freetype2:
   An error within the "Ins_SHZ()" function in src/truetype/ttinterp.c
   when handling the "SHZ" bytecode instruction can be exploited to
   cause a crash and potentially execute arbitrary code via a specially
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153732

* Mandriva: 2010:235: freetype2 (Nov 16)
   --------------------------------------
   Multiple vulnerabilities were discovered and corrected in freetype2:
   An error exists in the "ft_var_readpackedpoints()" function in
   src/truetype/ttgxvar.c when processing TrueType GX fonts and can be
   exploited to cause a heap-based buffer overflow via a specially
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153730

* Mandriva: 2010:234: cups (Nov 15)
   ---------------------------------
   Multiple vulnerabilities were discovered and corrected in cups:
   Cross-site request forgery (CSRF) vulnerability in the web interface
   in CUPS, allows remote attackers to hijack the authentication of
   administrators for requests that change settings (CVE-2010-0540).
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153728

* Mandriva: 2010:233: cups (Nov 15)
   ---------------------------------
   Multiple vulnerabilities were discovered and corrected in cups:
   Cross-site request forgery (CSRF) vulnerability in the web interface
   in CUPS, allows remote attackers to hijack the authentication of
   administrators for requests that change settings (CVE-2010-0540).
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153727

* Mandriva: 2010:232: cups (Nov 15)
   ---------------------------------
   Multiple vulnerabilities were discovered and corrected in cups:
   Cross-site request forgery (CSRF) vulnerability in the web interface
   in CUPS, allows remote attackers to hijack the authentication of
   administrators for requests that change settings (CVE-2010-0540).
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153726

* Mandriva: 2010:231: poppler (Nov 12)
   ------------------------------------
   Multiple vulnerabilities were discovered and corrected in poppler:
   The Gfx::getPos function in the PDF parser in poppler, allows
   context-dependent attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) via
   unknown vectors that trigger an uninitialized pointer dereference
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153712

* Mandriva: 2010:230: poppler (Nov 12)
   ------------------------------------
   Multiple vulnerabilities were discovered and corrected in poppler:
   The Gfx::getPos function in the PDF parser in poppler, allows
   context-dependent attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) via
   unknown vectors that trigger an uninitialized pointer dereference
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153711

* Mandriva: 2010:227: proftpd (Nov 11)
   ------------------------------------
   Multiple vulnerabilities were discovered and corrected in proftpd:
   Multiple directory traversal vulnerabilities in the mod_site_misc
   module in ProFTPD before 1.3.3c allow remote authenticated users to
   create directories, delete directories, create symlinks, and modify
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153705

* Red Hat: 2010:0896-01: thunderbird: Moderate Advisory (Nov 17)
   An updated thunderbird package that fixes several security issues is
   now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153750

* Red Hat: 2010:0895-01: systemtap: Moderate Advisory (Nov 17)
   Updated systemtap packages that fix one security issue are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153749

* Red Hat: 2010:0894-01: systemtap: Important Advisory (Nov 17)
   Updated systemtap packages that fix two security issues are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and 6. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153748

* Red Hat: 2010:0893-01: kernel: Important Advisory (Nov 16)
   Updated kernel packages that fix one security issue and three bugs
   are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3 Extended Update
   Support. The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this update as
   having [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153745

* Red Hat: 2010:0889-01: freetype: Important Advisory (Nov 16)
   Updated freetype packages that fix one security issue are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, 5, and 6. The Red Hat
   Security Response Team has rated this update as having [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153743

* Red Hat: 2010:0891-01: pam: Moderate Advisory (Nov 16)
   Updated pam packages that fix three security issues are now available
   for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. The Red Hat Security Response Team
   has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153744

* Red Hat: 2010:0888-01: openssl: Important Advisory (Nov 16)
   Updated openssl packages that fix one security issue are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153740

* Red Hat: 2010:0892-01: openswan: Moderate Advisory (Nov 16)
   Updated openswan packages that fix multiple security issues are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153741

* Red Hat: 2010:0890-01: pidgin: Moderate Advisory (Nov 16)
   Updated pidgin packages that fix multiple security issues are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153742

* Slackware: 2010-317-01: mozilla-thunderbird: Security Update (Nov 14)
   New mozilla-thunderbird packages are available for Slackware 13.0,
   13.1, and -current to fix security issues.  [More Info...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153714

   minor issues, SUSE Security releases weekly summary reports for the
   low profile vulnerability fixes. The SUSE Security Summary Reports do
   not list or download URLs like the SUSE Security Announcements that
   are released for more severe vulnerabilities.  List of
   vulnerabilities in this summary include: mysql, dhcp, monotone,
   moodle, openssl/libopenssl-devel, none.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153731

* SuSE: 2010-057: Linux kernel (Nov 11)
   -------------------------------------
   This update of the SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 SP1 fixes three critical
   security issues and some bugs. Following security issues were fixed:
   CVE-2010-3904: A local privilege escalation in RDS sockets allowed
   local attackers to gain root privileges.  [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153698

* Ubuntu: 1017-1: MySQL vulnerabilities (Nov 11)
   It was discovered that MySQL incorrectly handled certain requests
   with theUPGRADE DATA DIRECTORY NAME command. An authenticated user
   could exploitthis to make MySQL crash, causing a denial of service.
   This issue onlyaffected Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04 LTS. (CVE-2010-2008)
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153699