Linux Advisory Watch: November 5th, 2010

| LinuxSecurity.com                               Linux Advisory Watch |
| November 5th, 2010                              Volume 11, Number 45 |
| Editorial Team:              Dave Wreski <dwreski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |
|                       Benjamin D. Thomas <bthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |

Thank you for reading the Linux Advisory Watch Security Newsletter. The
purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick summary of
each week's vendor security bulletins and pointers on methods to improve
the security posture of your open source system.

Vulnerabilities affect nearly every vendor virtually every week, so be
sure to read through to find the updates your distributor have made
available.

Review: The Official Ubuntu Book
--------------------------------
If you haven't used Linux before, are new to Ubuntu, or would like a
quick update on the latest in open source advancements for the desktop,
then The Official Ubuntu Book is a great place to start.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153159

-->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!  <--
-->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf             <--

* EnGarde Secure Community 3.0.22 Now Available!
   Guardian Digital is happy to announce the release of EnGarde Secure
   Community 3.0.22 (Version 3.0, Release 22).  This release includes
   many updated packages and bug fixes and some feature enhancements to
   the EnGarde Secure Linux Installer and the SELinux policy.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/145668

* Debian: 2124-1: xulrunner: Multiple vulnerabilities (Nov 1)
   Several vulnerabilities have been discovered in Xulrunner, the
   component that provides the core functionality of Iceweasel, Debian's
   variant of Mozilla's browser technology. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153615

* Debian: 2123-1: nss: Multiple vulnerabilities (Nov 1)
   Several vulnerabilities have been discovered in Mozilla's Network
   Security Services (NSS) library. The Common Vulnerabilities and
   Exposures project identifies the following problems: [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153613

* Mandriva: 2010:220: pam (Nov 4)
   -------------------------------
   Multiple vulnerabilities were discovered and corrected in pam: The
   pam_xauth module did not verify the return values of the setuid() and
   setgid() system calls. A local, unprivileged user could use this flaw
   to execute the xauth command with root privileges and make it
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153633

* Mandriva: 2010:202-1: krb5 (Nov 2)
   ----------------------------------
   A vulnerability was discovered and corrected in krb5: The
   merge_authdata function in kdc_authdata.c in the Key Distribution
   Center (KDC) in MIT Kerberos 5 (aka krb5) 1.8.x before 1.8.4 does not
   properly manage an index into an authorization-data list, which
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153621

* Mandriva: 2010:219: mozilla-thunderbird (Nov 1)
   A security issue was identified and fixed in mozilla-thunderbird:
   Unspecified vulnerability in Mozilla Firefox 3.5.x through 3.5.14 and
   3.6.x through 3.6.11, when JavaScript is enabled, allows remote
   attackers to execute arbitrary code via unknown vectors, as exploited
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153604

* Mandriva: 2010:218: php (Oct 31)
   --------------------------------
   Multiple vulnerabilities were discovered and corrected in php: Stack
   consumption vulnerability in the filter_var function in PHP 5.2.x
   through 5.2.14 and 5.3.x through 5.3.3, when FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL
   mode is used, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153602

* Mandriva: 2010:217: dovecot (Oct 30)
   ------------------------------------
   Multiple vulnerabilities was discovered and corrected in dovecot:
   Dovecot 1.2.x before 1.2.15 and 2.0.x before 2.0.beta2 grants the
   admin permission to the owner of each mailbox in a non-public
   namespace, which might allow remote authenticated users to bypass
   intended access [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153601

* Mandriva: 2010:216: python (Oct 30)
   -----------------------------------
   Multiple vulnerabilities was discovered and corrected in python: The
   asyncore module in Python before 3.2 does not properly handle
   unsuccessful calls to the accept function, and does not have
   accompanying documentation describing how daemon applications should
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153600

* Mandriva: 2010:215: python (Oct 30)
   -----------------------------------
   Multiple vulnerabilities was discovered and corrected in python:
   Buffer underflow in the rgbimg module in Python 2.5 allows remote
   attackers to cause a denial of service (application crash) via a
   large ZSIZE value in a black-and-white (aka B/W) RGB image that
   triggers [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153599

* Mandriva: 2010:214: kernel (Oct 29)
   -----------------------------------
   A vulnerability was discovered and corrected in the Linux 2.6 kernel:
   A vulnerability in Linux kernel caused by insecure allocation of user
   space memory when translating system call inputs to 64-bit. A stack
   pointer underflow can occur when using the compat_alloc_user_space
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153597

* Mandriva: 2010:213: xulrunner (Oct 28)
   --------------------------------------
   A vulnerability was discovered and corrected in xulrunner:
   Unspecified vulnerability in Mozilla Firefox 3.5.x through 3.5.14 and
   3.6.x through 3.6.11, when JavaScript is enabled, allows remote
   attackers to execute arbitrary code via unknown vectors, as exploited
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153579

* Red Hat: 2010:0825-01: mysql: Moderate Advisory (Nov 3)
   Updated mysql packages that fix multiple security issues are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153631

* Red Hat: 2010:0824-01: mysql: Moderate Advisory (Nov 3)
   Updated mysql packages that fix three security issues are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153632

* Red Hat: 2010:0819-01: pam: Moderate Advisory (Nov 1)
   Updated pam packages that fix three security issues are now available
   for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. The Red Hat Security Response Team
   has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153614

* Red Hat: 2010:0811-01: cups: Important Advisory (Oct 28)
   Updated cups packages that fix two security issues are now available
   for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. The Red Hat Security Response Team
   has rated this update as having [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153588

* Red Hat: 2010:0812-01: thunderbird: Moderate Advisory (Oct 28)
   An updated thunderbird package that fixes one security issue is now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 and 5. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153589

* Slackware: 2010-305-03: proftpd: Security Update (Nov 1)
   New proftpd packages are available for Slackware 11.0, 12.0, 12.1,
   12.2, 13.0, 13.1, and -current to a fix security issue.  [More
   Info...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153617

* Slackware: 2010-305-02: pidgin: Security Update (Nov 1)
   New pidgin packages are available for Slackware 12.0, 12.1, 12.2,
   13.0, 13.1, and -current to fix a security issue.  [More Info...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153616

* Slackware: 2010-305-01: seamonkey: Security Update (Nov 1)
   New seamonkey packages are available for Slackware 12.2, 13.0, 13.1,
   and -current to fix security issues.	[More Info...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153603

* Slackware: 2010-301-01: glibc: Security Update (Oct 29)
   New glibc packages are available for Slackware 12.0, 12.1, 12.2,
   13.0, 13.1, and -current to fix a security issue.  [More Info...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153592

* Slackware: 2010-301-02: mozilla-firefox: Security Update (Oct 29)
   New mozilla-firefox packages are available for Slackware 13.0, 13.1,
   and -current to fix security issues.	[More Info...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153591

* SuSE: 2010-055: flash-player (Nov 5)
   minor issues, SUSE Security releases weekly summary reports for the
   low profile vulnerability fixes. The SUSE Security Summary Reports do
   not list or download URLs like the SUSE Security Announcements that
   are released for more severe vulnerabilities.  List of
   vulnerabilities in this summary include: NetworkManager, bind,
   clamav, dovecot12, festival, gpg2, libfreebl3, php5-pear-mail,
   postgresql.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153630

* SuSE: 2010-054: Linux kernel (Nov 3)
   ------------------------------------
   This security update of the SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 GA and openSUSE
   11.1 kernel updates the kernel to 2.6.27.54 and fixes various
   security issues and other bugs. The SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11
   kernel was released last week, the openSUSE 11.1 kernel with the same
   source base yesterday.  [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153626

* SuSE: 2010-053: Linux kernel (Oct 28)
   -------------------------------------
   The openSUSE 11.2 and 11.3 kernels were updated to fix 2 critical
   security issues and some small bugs. Following security issues were
   fixed: CVE-2010-3904: A local privilege escalation in RDS sockets
   allowed local attackers to gain root privileges.  [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153580

* SuSE: 2010-052: glibc (Oct 28)
   ------------------------------
   The Linux C library glibc was updated to fix critical security issues
   and several bugs: CVE-2010-3847: Decoding of the $ORIGIN special
   value in various LD_ environment variables allowed local attackers to
   execute code in context of e.g. setuid root programs, elevating
   privileges. This specific issue did not affect SUSE as an assertion
   triggers  [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153578

* Ubuntu: 1013-1: FreeType vulnerabilities (Nov 4)
   Marc Schoenefeld discovered that FreeType did not correctly handle
   certainmalformed font files. If a user were tricked into using a
   specially craftedfont file, a remote attacker could cause FreeType to
   crash or possiblyexecute arbitrary code with user privileges. This
   issue only affectedUbuntu 6.06 LTS, 8.04 LTS, 9.10 and 10.04 LTS.
   (CVE-2010-3311) [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153636

* Ubuntu: 1012-1: CUPS vulnerability (Nov 4)
   Emmanuel Bouillon discovered that CUPS did not properly handle
   certainInternet Printing Protocol (IPP) packets. A remote attacker
   could use thisflaw to cause a denial of service or possibly execute
   arbitrary code. Inthe default installation in Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and
   later, attackers would beisolated by the CUPS AppArmor profile.
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153637

* Ubuntu: 1011-3: Xulrunner vulnerability (Oct 29)
   USN-1011-1 fixed a vulnerability in Firefox. This update provides
   thecorresponding update for Xulrunner. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153590

* Ubuntu: 1010-1: OpenJDK vulnerabilities (Oct 28)
   Marsh Ray and Steve Dispensa discovered a flaw in the TLS andSSLv3
   protocols. If an attacker could perform a man in the middleattack at
   the start of a TLS connection, the attacker could injectarbitrary
   content at the beginning of the user's session. USN-923-1disabled
   SSL/TLS renegotiation by default; this update implements [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153587

* Ubuntu: 1011-2: Thunderbird vulnerability (Oct 28)
   USN-1011-1 fixed a vulnerability in Firefox. This update provides
   thecorresponding update for Thunderbird. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153586