Linux Advisory Watch: October 15th, 2010

| LinuxSecurity.com                               Linux Advisory Watch |
| October 15th, 2010                              Volume 11, Number 42 |
| Editorial Team:              Dave Wreski <dwreski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |
|                       Benjamin D. Thomas <bthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |

Thank you for reading the Linux Advisory Watch Security Newsletter. The
purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick summary of
each week's vendor security bulletins and pointers on methods to improve
the security posture of your open source system.

Vulnerabilities affect nearly every vendor virtually every week, so be
sure to read through to find the updates your distributor have made
available.

Review: The Official Ubuntu Book
--------------------------------
If you haven't used Linux before, are new to Ubuntu, or would like a
quick update on the latest in open source advancements for the desktop,
then The Official Ubuntu Book is a great place to start.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153159

Review: Zabbix 1.8 Network Monitoring
-------------------------------------
If you have anything more than a small home network, you need to be
monitoring the status of your systems to ensure they are providing the
services they were designed to provide.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152990

-->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!  <--
-->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf             <--

* EnGarde Secure Community 3.0.22 Now Available!
   Guardian Digital is happy to announce the release of EnGarde Secure
   Community 3.0.22 (Version 3.0, Release 22).  This release includes
   many updated packages and bug fixes and some feature enhancements to
   the EnGarde Secure Linux Installer and the SELinux policy.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/145668

* Debian: 2120-1: postgresql-8.3: privilege escalation (Oct 12)
   Tim Bunce discovered that PostgreSQL, a database server software,
   does not properly separate interpreters for server-side stored
   procedures which run in different security contexts. As a result,
   non-privileged authenticated database users might gain additional
   privileges. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153465

* Debian: 2116-1: poppler: Multiple vulnerabilities (Oct 12)
   Joel Voss of Leviathan Security Group discovered two vulnerabilities
   in the Poppler PDF rendering library, which may lead to the execution
   of arbitrary code if a malformed PDF file is opened. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153464

* Debian: 2115-2: moodle: Multiple vulnerabilities (Oct 11)
   DSA-2115-1 introduced a regression because it lacked a dependency on
   the wwwconfig-common package, leading to installations problems. This
   update addresses this issue. For reference, the text of the original
   advisory is provided below. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153454

* Debian: 2118-1: subversion: logic flaw (Oct 8)
   Kamesh Jayachandran and C. Michael Pilat discovered that the
   mod_dav_svn module of subversion, a version control system, is not
   properly enforcing access rules which are scope-limited to named
   repositories. If the SVNPathAuthz option is set to "short_circuit"
   set this may enable an [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153453

* Mandriva: 2010:204: avahi (Oct 14)
   ----------------------------------
   A vulnerability was discovered and corrected in avahi: The
   AvahiDnsPacket function in avahi-core/socket.c in avahi-daemon in
   Avahi 0.6.16 and 0.6.25 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of
   service (assertion failure and daemon exit) via a DNS packet with
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153488

* Mandriva: 2010:203: automake (Oct 13)
   -------------------------------------
   A vulnerability was discovered and corrected in automake: The (1)
   dist or (2) distcheck rules in GNU Automake 1.11.1, 1.10.3, and
   release branches branch-1-4 through branch-1-9, when producing a
   distribution tarball for a package that uses Automake, assign
   insecure [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153479

* Mandriva: 2010:202: krb5 (Oct 13)
   ---------------------------------
   A vulnerability was discovered and corrected in krb5: The
   merge_authdata function in kdc_authdata.c in the Key Distribution
   Center (KDC) in MIT Kerberos 5 (aka krb5) 1.8.x before 1.8.4 does not
   properly manage an index into an authorization-data list, which
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153477

* Mandriva: 2010:201: freetype2 (Oct 13)
   --------------------------------------
   A vulnerability was discovered and corrected in freetype2: Marc
   Schoenefeld found an input stream position error in the way FreeType
   font rendering engine processed input file streams. If a user loaded
   a specially-crafted font file with an application [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153475

* Mandriva: 2010:200: wireshark (Oct 13)
   --------------------------------------
   It was discovered that the ASN.1 BER dissector in wireshark was
   susceptible to a stack overflow (CVE-2010-3445). For 2010.0 and
   2010.1 wireshark was upgraded to v1.2.12 which is not vulnerable to
   this issue and was patched for CS4 and MES5 to resolve [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153472

* Mandriva: 2010:199: subversion (Oct 12)
   ---------------------------------------
   A vulnerability was discovered and corrected in subversion: authz.c
   in the mod_dav_svn module for the Apache HTTP Server, as distributed
   in Apache Subversion 1.5.x before 1.5.8 and 1.6.x before 1.6.13, when
   SVNPathAuthz short_circuit is enabled, does not [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153463

* Mandriva: 2010:198: kernel (Oct 7)
   ----------------------------------
   Some vulnerabilities were discovered and corrected in the Linux 2.6
   kernel: fs/namei.c in Linux kernel 2.6.18 through 2.6.34 does not
   always follow NFS automount symlinks, which allows attackers to have
   an [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153450

* Red Hat: 2010:0771-01: kernel-rt: Moderate Advisory (Oct 14)
   Updated kernel-rt packages that fix multiple security issues and
   upgrade the kernel-rt kernel to version 2.6.33.7-rt29 are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise MRG 1.3. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153486

* Red Hat: 2010:0770-01: java-1.6.0-sun: Critical Advisory (Oct 14)
   Updated java-1.6.0-sun packages that fix several security issues are
   now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Extras and 5
   Supplementary. The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this
   update as having critical [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153487

* Red Hat: 2010:0768-01: java-1.6.0-openjdk: Important Advisory (Oct 13)
   Updated java-1.6.0-openjdk packages that fix several security issues
   and two bugs are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. The
   Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this update as having
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153476

* Red Hat: 2010:0758-01: kernel-rt: Important Advisory (Oct 7)
   Updated kernel-rt packages that fix two security issues and three
   bugs are now available for Red Hat Enterprise MRG 1.2. The Red Hat
   Security Response Team has rated this update as having [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153451

* Red Hat: 2010:0755-01: cups: Important Advisory (Oct 7)
   Updated cups packages that fix multiple security issues are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153449

* Red Hat: 2010:0750-01: xpdf: Important Advisory (Oct 7)
   An updated xpdf package that fixes one security issue is now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153448

* Red Hat: 2010:0753-01: kdegraphics: Important Advisory (Oct 7)
   Updated kdegraphics packages that fix two security issues are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 and 5. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153446

* Red Hat: 2010:0754-01: cups: Important Advisory (Oct 7)
   Updated cups packages that fix one security issue are now available
   for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3. The Red Hat Security Response Team
   has rated this update as having [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153447

* Red Hat: 2010:0752-01: gpdf: Important Advisory (Oct 7)
   An updated gpdf package that fixes two security issues is now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153442

* Red Hat: 2010:0749-01: poppler: Important Advisory (Oct 7)
   Updated poppler packages that fix two security issues are now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153443

* Red Hat: 2010:0751-01: xpdf: Important Advisory (Oct 7)
   An updated xpdf package that fixes two security issues is now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153444

* SuSE: 2010-050: Linux kernel (Oct 13)
   -------------------------------------
   This SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 Service Pack 1 kernel contains various
   security fixes and lots of other bugfixes. Following security issues
   were fixed: CVE-2010-2960: local users could crash the system by
   causing a NULL deref in the keyctl_session_to_parent() function
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153473

* SuSE: 2010-049: Mozilla Firefox (Oct 12)
   Mozilla Firefox was updated to version 3.6.10, fixing various bugs
   and security issues. Mozilla Thunderbird was updated to version 3.0.8
   on openSUSE, fixing the same bugs. Mozilla Seamonkey was updated to
   version 2.0.8 on openSUSE, fixing  [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153459

* SuSE: 2010-048: acroread (Oct 11)
   ---------------------------------
   Specially crafted PDF documents could crash acroread or lead to
   execution of arbitrary code. acroread was updated to version 9.4
   which addresses the issues.  Please see Adobe's site for more
   information:
   http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb10-21.html
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153455

* Ubuntu: 1004-1: Django vulnerability (Oct 13)
   It was discovered that Django did not properly sanitize the cookie
   valuewhen applying CSRF protections resulting in a cross-site
   scripting (XSS)vulnerability. With cross-site scripting
   vulnerabilities, if a user weretricked into viewing server output
   during a crafted server request, aremote attacker could exploit this
   to modify the contents, or steal [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153478

* Ubuntu: 1002-2: PostgreSQL vulnerability (Oct 7)
   USN-1002-1 fixed vulnerabilities in PostgreSQL. This update provides
   thecorresponding update for Ubuntu 10.10. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153445

* Ubuntu: 1002-1: PostgreSQL vulnerability (Oct 7)
   It was discovered that PostgreSQL did not properly enforce
   permissionswithin sessions when PL/Perl and PL/Tcl functions or
   operators wereredefined. A remote authenticated attacker could
   exploit this to executearbitrary code with permissions of a different
   user, possibly leading toprivilege escalation. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153441