Linux Advisory Watch: June 18th, 2010

| LinuxSecurity.com                               Linux Advisory Watch |
| June 18th, 2010                                 Volume 11, Number 25 |
| Editorial Team:              Dave Wreski <dwreski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |
|                       Benjamin D. Thomas <bthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |

Thank you for reading the Linux Advisory Watch Security Newsletter. The
purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick summary of
each week's vendor security bulletins and pointers on methods to improve
the security posture of your open source system.

Vulnerabilities affect nearly every vendor virtually every week, so be
sure to read through to find the updates your distributor have made
available.

Only one Gentoo security advisory for unrealircd this week?

Understand: Fork Bombing Attack
-------------------------------
Thanks to  Anand Jahagirdar for this feature!As the variety of attacks
and threats grow, you need to be prepared.  In this HOWTO, get a
feeling for the Fork Bombing Attack, what it is, how it works, where it
comes from, how to deal with it and more.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/129220

Review: Hacking: The Art of Exploitation, Second Edition
If you've ever wondered what a "buffer overflow" was, or how a "denial
of service" attack works beyond just a basic understanding, then there
is no better book that will help you to delve into the	nitty-gritty
than Hacking: The Art of Exploitation, Second Edition, by Jon
Erickson.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152556

-->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!  <--
-->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf             <--

* EnGarde Secure Community 3.0.22 Now Available!
   Guardian Digital is happy to announce the release of EnGarde Secure
   Community 3.0.22 (Version 3.0, Release 22).  This release includes
   many updated packages and bug fixes and some feature enhancements to
   the EnGarde Secure Linux Installer and the SELinux policy.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/145668

* Debian: 2062-1: sudo: missing input sanitization (Jun 17)
   Anders Kaseorg and Evan Broder discovered a vulnerability in sudo, a
   program designed to allow a sysadmin to give limited root privileges
   to users, that allows a user with sudo permissions on certain
   programs to [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152627

* Debian: 2061-1: samba: memory corruption (Jun 16)
   Jun Mao discovered that Samba, an implementation of the SMB/CIFS
   protocol for Unix systems, is not properly handling certain offset
   values when processing chained SMB1 packets. This enables an
   unauthenticated attacker to write to an arbitrary memory location
   resulting in the possibility to [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152625

* Debian: : bind9: DNS cache poisoning (Jun 15)
   This update restores the PID file location for bind to the location
   before the last security update. For reference, here is the original
   advisory text that explains the security problems fixed: [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152613

* Debian: 2060-1: cacti: insufficient input sanitiza (Jun 13)
   Stefan Esser discovered that cacti, a front-end to rrdtool for
   monitoring systems and services, is not properly validating input
   passed to the rra_id parameter of the graph.php script. Due to
   checking the input of $_REQUEST but using $_GET input in a query an
   unauthenticated attacker is able to [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152591

* Debian: 2059-1: pcsc-lite: buffer overflow (Jun 10)
   It was discovered that PCSCD, a daemon to access smart cards, was
   vulnerable to a buffer overflow allowing a local attacker to elevate
   his privileges to root. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152571

* Debian: 2058-1: glibc, eglibc: Multiple vulnerabilities (Jun 10)
   Several vulnerabilities have been discovered in the GNU C Library
   (aka glibc) and its derivatives. The Common Vulnerabilities and
   Exposures project identifies the following problems: [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152566

* Gentoo: 201006-21: UnrealIRCd: Multiple vulnerabilities (Jun 14)
   Multiple vulnerabilities in UnrealIRCd might allow remote attackers
   tocompromise the "unrealircd" account, or cause a Denial of Service.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152599

* Mandriva: 2010:119: samba (Jun 17)
   ----------------------------------
   A vulnerability has been discovered and corrected in samba: Samba
   versions 3.0.x, 3.2.x and 3.3.x are affected by a memory corruption
   vulnerability. Code dealing with the chaining of SMB1 packets did not
   correctly validate an input field provided by the [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152636

* Mandriva: 2010:118: sudo (Jun 17)
   ---------------------------------
   A vulnerability has been discovered and corrected in sudo: The secure
   path feature in env.c in sudo 1.3.1 through 1.6.9p22 and 1.7.0
   through 1.7.2p6 does not properly handle an environment that contains
   multiple PATH variables, which might allow local users [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152628

* Mandriva: 2010:117: cacti (Jun 16)
   ----------------------------------
   A vulnerability has been discovered and corrected in cacti: SQL
   injection vulnerability in graph.php in Cacti 0.8.7e and earlier
   allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary SQL commands via the
   rra_id parameter in a GET request in conjunction with a valid rra_id
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152624

* Mandriva: 2010:116: perl (Jun 11)
   ---------------------------------
   Multiple vulnerabilities has been discovered and corrected in Path.pm
   and Safe.pm which could lead to escalated privilegies (CVE-2008-5302,
   CVE-2008-5303, CVE-2010-1168, CVE-2010-1447). The updated packages
   have been patched to correct these issues. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152580

* Mandriva: 2010:115: perl (Jun 11)
   ---------------------------------
   Multiple vulnerabilities has been discovered and corrected in Safe.pm
   which could lead to escalated privilegies (CVE-2010-1168,
   CVE-2010-1447). The updated packages have been patched to correct
   these issues. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152579

* Mandriva: 2010:114: dhcp (Jun 11)
   ---------------------------------
   A vulnerability has been found and corrected in dhcp: ISC DHCP 4.1
   before 4.1.1-P1 and 4.0 before 4.0.2-P1 allows remote attackers to
   cause a denial of service (server exit) via a zero-length client ID
   (CVE-2010-2156). [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152572

* Mandriva: 2010:113: wireshark (Jun 10)
   --------------------------------------
   This advisory updates wireshark to the latest version(s), fixing
   several security issues: * The SMB dissector could dereference a NULL
   pointer. (Bug 4734) * J. Oquendo discovered that the ASN.1 BER
   dissector could overrun [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152570

* Red Hat: 2010:0488-01: samba and samba3x: Critical Advisory (Jun 16)
   Updated samba and samba3x packages that fix one security issue are
   now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3, 4, and 5, and Red Hat
   Enterprise Linux 4.7, 5.3, and 5.4 Extended Update Support. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152626

* Red Hat: 2010:0475-01: sudo: Moderate Advisory (Jun 15)
   An updated sudo package that fixes one security issue is now
   available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. The Red Hat Security
   Response Team has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152615

* Red Hat: 2010:0474-01: kernel: Important Advisory (Jun 15)
   Updated kernel packages that fix three security issues and several
   bugs are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. The Red Hat
   Security Response Team has rated this update as having [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152614

* Red Hat: 2010:0470-01: flash-plugin: Critical Advisory (Jun 14)
   An updated Adobe Flash Player package that fixes multiple security
   issues is now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 and 4 Extras.
   The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this update as having
   critical [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152600

* Red Hat: 2010:0464-01: flash-plugin: Critical Advisory (Jun 11)
   An updated Adobe Flash Player package that fixes multiple security
   issues is now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Supplementary.
   The Red Hat Security Response Team has rated this update as having
   critical [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152578

   minor issues, SUSE Security releases weekly summary reports for the
   low profile vulnerability fixes. The SUSE Security Summary Reports do
   not list or download URLs like the SUSE Security Announcements that
   are released for more severe vulnerabilities.  List of
   vulnerabilities in this summary include: apache2-mod_php5/php5,
   bytefx-data-mysql/mono, flash-player, fuse, java-1_4_2-ibm, krb5,
   libcmpiutil/libvirt, libmozhelper-1_0-0/mozilla-xulrunner190,
   libopenssl-devel, libpng12-0, libpython2_6-1_0, libtheora, memcached,
   ncpfs, pango, puppet, python, seamonkey, te_ams, texlive.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152592

* SuSE: 2010-024: flash player (Jun 11)
   -------------------------------------
   Adobe Flash Player was updated to fix multiple critical security
   vulnerabilities which allow an attacker to remotely execute arbitrary
   code or to cause a denial of service. The Flash Plugin was upgraded
   to version 10.1.53.64. The following CVE numbers have been assigned:
   [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152573

* Ubuntu: 951-1: Samba vulnerability (Jun 16)
   Jun Mao discovered that Samba did not correctly validate SMB1
   packetcontents.  An unauthenticated remote attacker could send
   specially craftednetwork traffic that could execute arbitrary code as
   the root user. [More...]

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152623

* Pardus: 2010-81: Tiff: Integer Overflow (Jun 15)
   Multiple integer overflows have been fixed in tiff which can be used
   by malicious people to execute arbitrary code.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152602

* Pardus: 2010-79: Mono: Cross Site Scripting (Jun 15)
   A default configuration of ASP.NET in Mono which allows Cross Site
   Scripting (XSS) attacks have been fixed.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152603

* Pardus: 2010-80: Sudo: Privilege Escalation (Jun 15)
   A vulnerability has been fixed in sudo which can be exploited to
   allow local users to gain privileges.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152604

* Pardus: 2010-78: Samba: Denial of Service (Jun 15)
   A vulnerability has been fixed within in the Samba Smbd daemon which
   allows an attacker to trigger an uninitialized variable read by
   sending a specific 'Sessions Setup AndX' query. Successful
   exploitation of the issue will result in a denial of service.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152605

* Pardus: 2010-76: Python: Multiple Vulnerabilities (Jun 15)
   Multiple incorrect buffer overflow checks which can be used to cause
   denial of service in audioop module have been fixed.

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152606

* Pardus: 2010-77: OpenSSL: Invalid ASN1 Module (Jun 15)
   An error when handling CMS (Cryptographic Message Syntax) structures
   which can be exploited to potentially execute arbitrary code have
   been fixed

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152607