Linux Advisory Watch - November 7th 2008

| LinuxSecurity.com                                  Weekly Newsletter |
| November 7th, 2008                               Volume 9, Number 45 |
| Editorial Team:              Dave Wreski <dwreski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |
|                       Benjamin D. Thomas <bthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |

Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security newsletter.
The purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick
summary of each week's most relevant Linux security headlines.

This week, advisories were released for mysql, rgmanager, uw-imap,
enscript, openoffice, opera, libspf2, ruby, net-snmp, kernel,
freetype2, mdkonline, netbpm, tk, and enscript. The distributors
include Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, Mandriva, Red Hat, and Ubuntu.

---

Linux+ Magazine! Linux in the Data Centre

Check out the hot Linux+ Magazine at Barnes & Noble or online.
Included with this issue are:

  - Installing Fedora 9
  - Going Virtual with Ubuntu
  - Intro to Digital Forensics
  - Power Over Ethernet Tips
  - Using OpenLDAP
  - EnGarde Secure Linux Review
  - Interview with Pavel Radda from Foundry.net
  - Microsoft & Linux: What's the Deal?

Packed with useful Linux tips & tricks, DVD with hundreds of tools,
and the full EnGarde Secure Linux distribution!

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/ads/adclick.php?bannerid=63

---

Earn your MS in Info Assurance online

Norwich University's Master of Science in Information Assurance (MSIA)
program, designated by the National Security Agency as providing
academically excellent education in Information Assurance, provides
you with the skills to manage and lead an organization-wide
information security program and the tools to fluently communicate
the intricacies of information security at an executive level.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/ads/adclick.php?bannerid=12

---

Never Installed a Firewall on Ubuntu? Try Firestarter
When I typed on Google "Do I really need a firewall?" 695,000 results
came across.  And I'm pretty sure they must be saying  "Hell yeah!".
In my opinion, no one would ever recommend anyone to sit naked on the
internet keeping in mind the insecurity internet carries these days,
unless you really know what you are doing.

Read on for more information on Firestarter.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/142641

---

Review: Hacking Exposed Linux, Third Edition
"Hacking Exposed Linux" by  ISECOM (Institute for Security and Open
Methodologies) is a guide to help you secure your Linux environment.
This book does not only help improve your security it looks at why you
should. It does this by showing examples of real attacks and rates the
importance of protecting yourself from being a victim of each type of
attack.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141165

-->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!  <--
-->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf             <--

* EnGarde Secure Community 3.0.21 Now Available (Oct 7)
  Guardian Digital is happy to announce the release of EnGarde Secure
  Community 3.0.21 (Version 3.0, Release 21). This release includes
  many updated packages and bug fixes and some feature enhancements to
  the EnGarde Secure Linux Installer and the SELinux policy.

  In distribution since 2001, EnGarde Secure Community was one of the
  very first security platforms developed entirely from open source,
  and has been engineered from the ground-up to provide users and
  organizations with complete, secure Web functionality, DNS, database,
  e-mail security and even e-commerce.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/143039

* Debian: New mysql-dfsg-5.0 packages fix authorization bypass (Nov 5)
  A symlink traversal vulnerability was discovered in MySQL, a
  relational database server.  The weakness could permit an attacker
  having both CREATE TABLE access to a database and the ability to
  execute shell commands on the database server to bypass MySQL access
  controls, enabling them to write to tables in databases to which they
  would not ordinarily have access.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/143945

* Fedora 9 Update: rgmanager-2.03.09-1.fc9 (Nov 6)
  A major code audit did show several unsecure use of /tmp.    This
  update addresses those issues across the whole code.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/144022

* Fedora 8 Update: uw-imap-2007d-1.fc8 (Nov 5)
  Addresses a security vulnerability in tmail and dmail:
  http://mailman2.u.washington.edu/pipermail/imap-uw/2008-October/00226
  7.html

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/143910

* Fedora 9 Update: enscript-1.6.4-10.fc9 (Nov 5)
  There were found various buffer overflows in enscript. This update
  fixes CVE-2008-3863 and CVE-2008-4306

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/143892

* Fedora 8 Update: enscript-1.6.4-9.fc8 (Nov 5)
  There were found various buffer overflows in enscript. This update
  fixes CVE-2008-3863 and CVE-2008-4306

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/143866

* Fedora 8 Update: openoffice.org-2.3.0-6.17.fc8 (Oct 31)
  A security release to address:  - CVE-2008-2237: Manipulated WMF
  files  - CVE-2008-2238: Manipulated EMF files  as described at
  http://www.openoffice.org/security/bulletin.html

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/143832

* Fedora 9 Update: openoffice.org-2.4.2-18.1.fc9 (Oct 31)
  Security update to address  - CVE-2008-2237: Manipulated WMF files  -
  CVE-2008-2238: Manipulated EMF files	as described at
  http://www.openoffice.org/security/bulletin.html

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/143813

* Gentoo: Opera Multiple vulnerabilities (Nov 3)
  Multiple vulnerabilities have been discovered in Opera, allowing for
  the execution of arbitrary code.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/143842

* Gentoo: libspf2 DNS response buffer overflow (Oct 30)
  A memory management error in libspf2 might allow for remote execution
  of arbitrary code.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/143806

* Mandriva: Subject: [Security Announce] [ MDVSA-2008:226 ] ruby (Nov 6)
  A denial of service condition was found in Ruby's regular expression
  engine.  If a Ruby script tried to process a large amount of data via
  a regular expression, it could cause Ruby to enter an infinite loop
  and crash (CVE-2008-3443).

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/143951

* Mandriva: Subject: [Security Announce] [ MDVSA-2008:225 ] net-snmp (Nov 5)
  A denial of service vulnerability was discovered in how Net-SNMP
  processed GETBULK requests.  A remote attacker with read access to
  the SNMP server could issue a specially-crafted request which would
  cause snmpd to crash (CVE-2008-4309).

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/143851

* Mandriva: Subject: [Security Announce] [ MDVSA-2008:224 ] kernel (Nov 4)
  Some vulnerabilities were discovered and corrected in the Linux 2.6
  kernel: The error-reporting functionality in (1) fs/ext2/dir.c, (2)
  fs/ext3/dir.c, and possibly (3) fs/ext4/dir.c in the Linux kernel
  2.6.26.5 does not limit the number of printk console messages that
  report directory corruption, which allows physically proximate
  attackers to cause a denial of service (temporary system hang) by
  mounting a filesystem that has corrupted dir->i_size and
  dir->i_blocks values and performing (a) read or (b) write operations.
  NOTE: there are limited scenarios in which this crosses privilege
  boundaries. (CVE-2008-3528)

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/143849

* Mandriva: Subject: [Security Announce] [ MDVSA-2008:223 ] kernel (Oct 31)
  Some vulnerabilities were discovered and corrected in the Linux 2.6
  kernel: Buffer overflow in format descriptor parsing in the
  uvc_parse_format function in drivers/media/video/uvc/uvc_driver.c in
  uvcvideo in the video4linux (V4L) implementation in the Linux kernel
  before 2.6.26.1 has unknown impact and attack vectors.
  (CVE-2008-3496)

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/143837

* Mandriva: Subject: [Security Announce] [ MDVSA-2008:121-1 ] freetype2 (Oct 31)
  Multiple vulnerabilities were discovered in FreeType's Printer Font
  Binary (PFB) font-file format parser.  If a user were to load a
  carefully crafted font file with a program linked against FreeType,
  it could cause the application to crash or potentially execute
  arbitrary code (CVE-2008-1806, CVE-2008-1807, CVE-2008-1808). The
  updated packages have been patched to prevent this issue.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/143836

* Mandriva: Subject: [Security Announce] [ MDVA-2008:163 ] mdkonline (Oct 30)
  This update ensures that the distribution upgrade notification is not
  detected in incorrect cases, and ensures that a distribution upgrade
  is only suggested after all security updates have been applied. It
  also improves the distribution upgrade confirmation dialog and
  reliability of network package installation.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/143805

* Mandriva: Subject: [Security Announce] [ MDVA-2008:162 ] openoffice.org (Oct 30)
  This update provides a new upstream version of OpenOffice.org -
  2.4.1.10.  It also corrects the following bugs: Under 2.4 versions of
  OpenOffice.org, the Orientation option was removed from printer
  properties which prevented users from printing on a booklet format in
  a way they were used to do. This OpenOffice.org update enables the
  Orientation printer option again.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/143804

* RedHat: Important: openoffice.org security update (Nov 5)
  Updated openoffice.org packages that correct security issues are now
  available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3, 4, and 5. SureRun Security
  Team discovered an integer overflow flaw leading to a heap buffer
  overflow in the Windows Metafile (WMF) image format parser. An
  attacker could create a carefully crafted document containing a
  malicious WMF file that could cause OpenOffice.org to crash, or,
  possibly, execute arbitrary code if opened by a victim. This update
  has been rated as having important security impact by the RedHat
  Security Response Team.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/143850

* RedHat: Important: kernel security and bug fix update (Nov 4)
  Updated kernel packages that resolve several security issues and fix
  various bugs are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. This
  update has been rated as having important security impact by the Red
  Hat Security Response Team.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/143846

* RedHat: Important: net-snmp security update (Nov 3)
  Updated net-snmp packages that fix a security issue are now available
  for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3, 4, and 5. This update has been rated
  as having important security impact by the Red Hat Security Response
  Team.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/143840

* Ubuntu:  Netpbm vulnerability (Nov 6)
  -------------------------------------
  It was discovered that Netpbm could be made to overrun a buffer when
  specially crafted GIF image, remote attackers could cause a denial of
  service or execute arbitrary code with user privileges.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/143949

* Ubuntu:  Tk vulnerability (Nov 6)
  ---------------------------------
  It was discovered that Tk could be made to overrun a buffer when
  specially crafted GIF image, remote attackers could cause a denial of
  service or execute arbitrary code with user privileges.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/143948

* Ubuntu:  enscript vulnerability (Nov 3)
  Ulf Hrnhammar discovered multiple stack overflows in enscript's
  handling of special escape arguments.  If a user or automated system
  were tricked into processing a malicious file with the "-e" option
  enabled, a remote attacker could execute arbitrary code or cause
  enscript to crash, possibly leading to a denial of service.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/143844