Linux Advisory Watch: August 15th, 2008

| LinuxSecurity.com                                  Weekly Newsletter |
| August 15th, 2008                                Volume 9, Number 33 |
| Editorial Team:              Dave Wreski <dwreski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |
|                       Benjamin D. Thomas <bthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |

Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security newsletter.
The purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick
summary of each week's most relevant Linux security headlines.

This week, advisories were released for powerdns, thunderbird, httpd,
uudeview, openldap, stunnel, clamav, cups, hplip, perl, python, rxvt,
postfix, tum-rhn-plugin, condor, and opensman.	The distributors
include Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, Mandriva, Red Hat, and SuSE.

---

>> Linux+DVD Magazine <<

In each issue you can find information concerning the best use of Linux:
safety, databases, multimedia, scientific tools, entertainment,
programming, e-mail, news and desktop environments.

Catch up with what professional network and database administrators,
system programmers, webmasters and all those who believe in the power of
Open Source software are doing!

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/ads/adclick.php?bannerid=26

---

Security Features of Firefox 3.0
--------------------------------
Lets take a look at the security features of the newly released Firefox
3.0. Since it's release on Tuesday I have been testing it out to see
how the new security enhancements work and help in increase user
browsing security.  One of the exciting improvements for me was how
Firefox handles SSL secured web sites while browsing the Internet.
There are also many other security features that this article will look
at. For example, improved plugin and addon security.

Read on for more security features of Firefox 3.0.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/138972

---

Review: The Book of Wireless
----------------------------
"The Book of Wireless" by John Ross is an answer to the problem of
learning about wireless networking. With the wide spread use of
Wireless networks today anyone with a computer should at least know the
basics of wireless. Also, with the wireless networking, users need to
know how to protect themselves from wireless networking attacks.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/136167

-->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!  <--
-->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf             <--

* EnGarde Secure Community 3.0.19 Now Available! (Apr 15)
  Guardian Digital is happy to announce the release of EnGarde Secure
  Community 3.0.19 (Version 3.0, Release 19).  This release includes
  many updated packages and bug fixes and some feature enhancements to
  the EnGarde Secure Linux Installer and the SELinux policy.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/136174

* Debian: New PowerDNS packages reduce DNS spoofing risk (Aug 10)
  Brian Dowling discovered that the PowerDNS authoritative name server
  does not respond to DNS queries which contain certain characters,
  increasing the risk of successful DNS spoofing (CVE-2008-3337).  This
  update changes PowerDNS to respond with SERVFAIL responses instead.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141041

* Fedora 8 Update: thunderbird-2.0.0.16-1.fc8 (Aug 7)
  Updated thunderbird packages that fix several security issues are now
  available for Fedora 8.    Several flaws were found in the processing
  of malformed HTML content. An HTML mail containing malicious content
  could cause Thunderbird to crash or, potentially, execute arbitrary
  code as the user running Thunderbird. (CVE-2008-2785, CVE-2008-2798,
  CVE-2008-2799, CVE-2008-2811)

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/140991

* Fedora 8 Update: httpd-2.2.9-1.fc8 (Aug 7)
  This update includes the latest release of httpd 2.2.    A security
  issue is fixed in this update:    A flaw was found in the handling of
  excessive interim responses from an origin server when using
  mod_proxy_http. In a forward proxy configuration, if a user of the
  proxy could be tricked into visiting a malicious web server, the
  proxy could be forced into consuming a large amount of stack or heap
  memory. This could lead to an eventual process crash due to stack
  space exhaustion.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/140998

* Fedora 9 Update: httpd-2.2.9-1.fc9 (Aug 7)
  This update includes the latest release of httpd 2.2.    Two security
  issues are fixed in this update:    A flaw was found in the handling
  of excessive interim responses from an origin server when using
  mod_proxy_http.  In a forward proxy configuration, if a user of the
  proxy could be tricked into visiting a malicious web server, the
  proxy could be forced into consuming a large amount of stack or heap
  memory.  This could lead to an eventual process crash due to stack
  space exhaustion.    A flaw was found in the handling of compression
  structures between mod_ssl and OpenSSL.  A remote attacker enabling
  compression in an SSL handshake could cause a memory leak in the
  server, leading to a denial of service.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/140899

* Gentoo: UUDeview Insecure temporary file creation (Aug 11)
  A vulnerability in UUDeview may allow local attackers to conduct
  symlink attacks.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141046

* Gentoo: Adobe Reader User-assisted execution of arbitrary code (Aug 9)
  Adobe Reader is vulnerable to execution of arbitrary code via a
  crafted PDF.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141040

* Gentoo: OpenLDAP Denial of Service vulnerability (Aug 8)
  A flaw in OpenLDAP allows remote unauthenticated attackers to cause a
  Denial of Service.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141038

* Gentoo: stunnel Security bypass (Aug 8)
  ---------------------------------------
  stunnel does not properly prevent the authentication of a revoked
  certificate which would be published by OCSP.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141037

* Gentoo: ClamAV Multiple Denials of Service (Aug 8)
  Multiple vulnerabilities in ClamAV may result in a Denial of Service.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141036

* Mandriva: Subject: [Security Announce] [ MDVSA-2008:170 ] cups (Aug 14)
  Thomas Pollet discovered an integer overflow vulnerability in the PNG
  image handling filter in CUPS.  This could allow a malicious user to
  execute arbitrary code with the privileges of the user running CUPS,
  or cause a denial of service by sending a specially crafted PNG image
  to the print server (CVE-2008-1722).

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141154

* Mandriva: Subject: [Security Announce] [ MDVSA-2008:169 ] hplip (Aug 14)
  Marc Schoenefeld of the Red Hat Security Response Team discovered a
  vulnerability in the hplip alert-mailing functionality that could
  allow a local attacker to elevate their privileges by using
  specially-crafted packets to trigger alert mails that are sent by the
  root account (CVE-2008-2940).

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141153

* Mandriva: Subject: [Security Announce] [ MDVSA-2008:168 ] stunnel (Aug 14)
  A vulnerability was found in the OCSP search functionality in stunnel
  that could allow a remote attacker to use a revoked certificate that
  would be successfully authenticated by stunnel (CVE-2008-2420). This
  flaw only concerns users who have enabled OCSP validation

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141152

* Mandriva: Subject: [Security Announce] [ MDVSA-2008:166 ] clamav (Aug 12)
  An incomplete fix for CVE-2008-2713 resulted in remote attackers
  being able to cause a denial of service via a malformed Petite file
  that triggered an out-of-bounds memory access (CVE-2008-3215).  This
  issue is corrected with the 0.93.3 release which is being provided.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141150

* Mandriva: Subject: [Security Announce] [ MDVSA-2008:167 ] kernel (Aug 12)
  Some vulnerabilities were discovered and corrected in the Linux 2.6
  kernel: Memory leak in the ipip6_rcv function in net/ipv6/sit.c in
  the Linux kernel before 2.6.25.3 allows remote attackers to cause a
  denial of service (memory consumption) via network traffic to a
  Simple Internet Transition (SIT) tunnel interface, related to the
  pskb_may_pull and kfree_skb functions, and management of an skb
  reference count. (CVE-2008-2136) T

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141149

* Mandriva: Subject: [Security Announce] [ MDVSA-2008:165 ] perl (Aug 11)
  The rmtree function in lib/File/Path.pm in Perl 5.10 does not
  properly check permissions before performing a chmod, which allows
  local users to modify the permissions of arbitrary files via a
  symlink attack. The updated packages have been patched to fix this.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141047

* Mandriva: Subject: [Security Announce] [ MDVSA-2008:164 ] python (Aug 7)
  Multiple integer overflows in the imageop module in Python prior to
  2.5.3 allowed context-dependent attackers to cause a denial of
  service (crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code via crafted images
  that trigger heap-based buffer overflows (CVE-2008-1679).

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141031

* Mandriva: Subject: [Security Announce] [ MDVSA-2008:163 ] python (Aug 7)
  Multiple integer overflows in the imageop module in Python prior to
  2.5.3 allowed context-dependent attackers to cause a denial of
  service (crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code via crafted images
  that trigger heap-based buffer overflows (CVE-2008-1679).

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141030

* Mandriva: Subject: [Security Announce] [ MDVSA-2008:161 ] rxvt (Aug 7)
  A vulnerability in rxvt allowed it to open a terminal on :0 if the
  environment variable was not set, which could be used by a local user
  to hijack X11 connections (CVE-2008-1142).

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/140887

* RedHat: Moderate: postfix security update (Aug 14)
  Updated postfix packages that fix a security issue are now available
  for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3, 4, and 5. A flaw was found in the way
  Postfix dereferences symbolic links. If a local user has write access
  to a mail spool directory with no root mailbox, it may be possible
  for them to append arbitrary data to files that root has write
  permission to. This update has been rated as having moderate security
  impact by the Red Hat Security Response Team.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141159

* RedHat: Moderate: yum-rhn-plugin security update (Aug 14)
  Updated yum-rhn-plugin packages that fix a security issue are now
  available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. It was discovered that
  yum-rhn-plugin did not verify the SSL certificate for all
  communication with a Red Hat Network server. An attacker able to
  redirect the network communication between a victim and an RHN server
  could use this flaw to provide malicious repository metadata. This
  metadata could be used to block the victim from receiving specific
  security updates. This update has been rated as having moderate
  security impact by the Red Hat Security Response Team.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141157

* RedHat: Moderate: hplip security update (Aug 12)
  Updated hplip packages that fix various security issues are now
  available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.A flaw was discovered in the
  hplip alert-mailing functionality. A local attacker could elevate
  their privileges by using specially-crafted packets to trigger alert
  mails, which are sent by the root account. This update has been rated
  as having moderate security impact by the Red Hat Security Response
  Team.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141148

* RedHat: Moderate: condor security and bug fix update (Aug 11)
  Updated condor packages that fix a security issue and several bugs
  are now available for Red Hat Enterprise MRG. A flaw was found in the
  way Condor interpreted wildcards in authorization lists. Certain
  authorization lists using wildcards in DENY rules, such as DENY_WRITE
  or HOSTDENY_WRITE, that conflict with the definitions in ALLOW rules,
  could permit authenticated remote users to submit computation jobs,
  even when such access should have been denied.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141044

* RedHat: Moderate: condor security and bug fix update (Aug 11)
  Updated condor packages that fix a security issue and several bugs
  are now available for Red Hat Enterprise MRG. A flaw was found in the
  way Condor interpreted wildcards in authorization lists. Certain
  authorization lists using wildcards in DENY rules, such as DENY_WRITE
  or HOSTDENY_WRITE, that conflict with the definitions in ALLOW rules,
  could permit authenticated remote users to submit computation jobs,
  even when such access should have been denied.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141045

* RedHat: Moderate: dnsmasq security update (Aug 11)
  An updated dnsmasq package that implements UDP source-port
  randomization is now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. The
  dnsmasq DNS resolver used a fixed source UDP port. This could have
  made DNS spoofing attacks easier. dnsmasq has been updated to use
  random UDP source ports, helping to make DNS spoofing attacks harder.
  This update has been rated as having moderate security impact by the
  Red Hat Security Response Team.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141043

* SuSE: openwsman (SUSE-SA:2008:041) (Aug 14)
  The SuSE Security-Team has found two critical issues in the code:
  - two remote buffer overflows while decoding the HTTP basic
  authentication      header (CVE-2008-2234)	 - a possible SSL
  session replay attack affecting the client (depending on	the
  configuration) (CVE-2008-2233)

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141158

* SuSE: postfix (SUSE-SA:2008:040) (Aug 14)
  Postfix is a well known MTA. During a source code audit the SuSE
  Security-Team discovered a local privilege escalation bug
  (CVE-2008-2936) as well as a mailbox ownership problem
  (CVE-2008-2937) in postfix. The first bug allowed local users to
  execute arbitrary commands as root while the second one allowed local
  users to read other users mail

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/141156