Linux Advisory Watch - October 6th 2006

|  LinuxSecurity.com                               Weekly Newsletter  |
|  October 6th 2006                             Volume 7, Number 41a  |

  Editors:      Dave Wreski                     Benjamin D. Thomas
                dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx          ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
security vulnerabilities that have been announced throughout the
week.  It includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of
each vulnerability.

This week, advisories were released for openssl, cscope, migrationtools,
mailman, openssh, mozilladb, opera, firefox, dokuwiki, thunderbird,
fibric, webmin, musicbrainz, openldap, openssl, ffmpeg, gstreamer,
mplayer, xine, mysql, ntp, php, and the Linux kernel.  The
distributors include Debian, Gentoo, Mandriva, Red Hat,
Slackware, and SuSE.

---

Earn an NSA recognized IA Masters Online

The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic
Excellence in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled
Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched
consulting experience. Using interactive e-Learning technology, you
can earn this esteemed degree, without disrupting your career or home
life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/linsec/

---

EnGarde Secure Linux v3.0.9 Now Available

Guardian Digital is happy to announce the release of EnGarde
Secure Community 3.0.9 (Version 3.0, Release 9). This release
includes several bug fixes and feature enhancements to the
Guardian Digital WebTool and the SELinux policy, several
updated packages, and a couple of new packages available for
installation.

EnGarde Secure Community is a secure distribution of Linux
engineered from the ground-up to provide organizations with
the level of security required to create a corporate Web
presence or even conduct e-business on the Web. It can be
used as a Web, DNS, e-mail, database, e-commerce, and general
Internet server where security is a primary concern.

All new users downloading EnGarde Secure Linux for the first
time or users who use the LiveCD environment should download
this release.

Users who are currently using EnGarde Secure Linux do not
need to download this release -- they can update their
machines via the Guardian Digital Secure Network WebTool
module.

You may download this ISO image via FTP or BitTorrent by
following the "Download Now!" link from engardelinux.org:

 --> http://www.engardelinux.org/

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125147/169/

----------------------

RFID with Bio-Smart Card in Linux

In this paper, we describe the integration of fingerprint template
and RF smart card for clustered network, which is designed on Linux
platform and Open source technology to obtain biometrics security.
Combination of smart card and biometrics has achieved in two step
authentication where smart card authentication is based on a
Personal Identification Number (PIN) and the card holder is
authenticated using the biometrics template stored in the smart
card that is based on the fingerprint verification. The fingerprint
verification has to be executed on central host server for
security purposes. Protocol designed allows controlling entire
parameters of smart security controller like PIN options, Reader
delay, real-time clock, alarm option and cardholder access
conditions.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125052/171/

---

Packet Sniffing Overview

The best way to secure you against sniffing is to use encryption.
While this won't prevent a sniffer from functioning, it will ensure
that what a sniffer reads is pure junk.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/123570/49/

--------

-->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!
-->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf

+---------------------------------+

* Debian: New openssl packages fix denial of service
  28th, September, 2006

Multiple vulnerabilities have been discovered in the OpenSSL
cryptographic software package that could allow an attacker to launch
a denial of service attack by exhausting system resources or crashing
processes on a victim's computer.  The following CVE IDs have been
addressed: CVE-2006-2940 CVE-2006-3738 CVE-2006-4343 CVE-2006-2937

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125102

* Debian: New cscope packages fix arbitrary code execution
  30th, September, 2006

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125130

* Debian: New migrationtools packages fix denial of service
  30th, September, 2006

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125131

* Debian: New openssl packages fix arbitrary code execution
  2nd, October, 2006

The fix used to correct CVE-2006-2940 introduced code that could lead
to the use of uninitialized memory.  Such use is likely to cause the
application using the openssl library to crash, and has the potential
to allow an attacker to cause the execution of arbitrary code.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125140

* Debian: New mailman packages fix several problems
  4th, October, 2006

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125153

* Debian: New openssh-krb5 packages fix denial of service and
potential execution of arbitrary code
  4th, October, 2006

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125160

* Debian: New maxdb-7.5.00 packages fix execution of arbitrary code
  4th, October, 2006

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125161

* Debian: New Mozilla Thunderbird packages fix several
vulnerabilities
  5th, October, 2006

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125166

+---------------------------------+

* Gentoo: Opera RSA signature forgery
  28th, September, 2006

Opera fails to correctly verify certain signatures.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125098

* Gentoo: Mozilla Firefox Multiple vulnerabilities
  28th, September, 2006

The Mozilla Foundation has reported numerous vulnerabilities in
Mozilla Firefox, including one that may allow execution of arbitrary
code.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125108

* Gentoo: DokuWiki Shell command injection and Denial of
  28th, September, 2006

DokuWiki is vulnerable to shell command injection and Denial of
Service attacks when using ImageMagick.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125110

* Gentoo: Mozilla Thunderbird Multiple vulnerabilities
  4th, October, 2006

The Mozilla Foundation has reported multiple security vulnerabilities
related to Mozilla Thunderbird.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125159

* Gentoo: Adobe Flash Player Arbitrary code execution
  4th, October, 2006

Multiple input validation errors have been identified that allow
arbitrary code execution on a user's system via the handling of
malicious Flash files.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125162

* Gentoo: Adobe Flash Player Arbitrary code execution
  5th, October, 2006

Multiple input validation errors have been identified that allow
arbitrary code execution on a user's system via the handling of
malicious Flash files.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125165

+---------------------------------+

* Mandriva: Updated Fibric package interaction with curl
  28th, September, 2006

 The Fibric tool, used for updating packages on Corporate Server 4.0,
had difficulty with usernames that contained the '@' character when
curl is installed.  No such problem exists when Fibric uses wget.
This update provides a fixed Fibric that better interacts with curl.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125094

* Mandriva: Updated webmin packages fix XSS vulnerability
  28th, September, 2006

Webmin before 1.296 and Usermin before 1.226 does not properly handle
a URL with a null ("%00") character, which allows remote attackers to
conduct cross-site scripting (XSS), read CGI program source code,
list directories, and possibly execute programs. Updated packages
have been patched to correct this issue.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125095

* Mandriva: Updated musicbrainz packages fix buffer overflow
vulnerabilities
  28th, September, 2006

Multiple buffer overflows in libmusicbrainz (aka mb_client or
MusicBrainz Client Library) 2.1.2 and earlier, and SVN 8406 and
earlier, allow remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash)
or execute arbitrary code via (1) a long Location header by the HTTP
server, which triggers an overflow in the MBHttp::Download function
in lib/http.cpp; and (2) a long URL in RDF data, as demonstrated by a
URL in an rdf:resource field in an RDF XML document, which triggers
overflows in many functions in lib/rdfparse.c.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125109

* Mandriva: Updated openldap packages fixes ACL vulnerability
  28th, September, 2006

slapd in OpenLDAP before 2.3.25 allows remote authenticated users
with selfwrite Access Control List (ACL) privileges to modify
arbitrary Distinguished Names (DN).

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125111

* Mandriva: Updated openssl packages fix vulnerabilities
  28th, September, 2006

Dr S N Henson of the OpenSSL core team and Open Network Security
recently developed an ASN1 test suite for NISCC (www.niscc.gov.uk).
When the test suite was run against OpenSSL two  denial of service
vulnerabilities were discovered.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125112

* Mandriva: Updated ffmpeg packages fix buffer overflow
vulnerabilities
  28th, September, 2006

Multiple buffer overflows in libavcodec in ffmpeg before
0.4.9_p20060530 allow remote attackers to cause a denial of service
or possibly execute arbitrary code via multiple  nspecified vectors.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125117

* Mandriva: Update gstreamer-ffmpeg packages fix buffer overflow
vulnerabilities
  28th, September, 2006

Gstreamer-ffmpeg uses an embedded copy of ffmpeg and as such has been
updated.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125118

* Mandriva: Updated mplayer packages fix buffer overflow
vulnerabilities
  28th, September, 2006

Mplayer uses an embedded copy of ffmpeg and as such has been updated.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125119

* Mandriva: Updated xine-lib packages fix buffer overflow
vulnerabilities
  28th, September, 2006

Xine-lib uses an embedded copy of ffmpeg and as such has been
updated.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125120

* Mandriva: Updated openssl packages fix vulnerabilities
  2nd, October, 2006

The following CVE IDs are covered by this vulnerability:
CVE-2006-2937 CVE-2006-2940 CVE-2006-3738 CVE-2006-4343

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125141

* Mandriva: Updated MySQL packages rebuilt against updated openssl.
  2nd, October, 2006

Openssl recently had several vulnerabilities which were patched
CVE-2006-2937,2940,3738,4339, 4343). Some MySQL versions are built
against a static copy of the SSL libraries. As a precaution an
updated copy built against the new libraries in being made available.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125142

* Mandriva: Updated ntp packages rebuilt against updated openssl.
  2nd, October, 2006

Openssl recently had several vulnerabilities which were patched
CVE-2006-2937,2940,3738,4339, 4343). Some versions of ntp are built
against a static copy of the SSL libraries. As a precaution an
updated copy built against the new libraries in being made available.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125143

* Mandriva: Updated openssh packages fix DoS vulnerabilities
  3rd, October, 2006

Tavis Ormandy of the Google Security Team discovered a Denial of
Service vulnerability in the SSH protocol version 1 CRC compensation
attack detector.  This could allow a remote unauthenticated attacker
to trigger excessive CPU utilization by sending a specially crafted
SSH message, which would then deny ssh services to other users or
processes.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125152

+---------------------------------+

* RedHat: Important: openssl security update
  28th, September, 2006

Updated OpenSSL packages are now available to correct several
security issues. This update has been rated as having important
security impact by the Red Hat Security Response Team.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125114

* RedHat: Important: openssh security update
  28th, September, 2006

Updated openssh packages that fix two security flaws are now
available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 and 4. This update has been

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125115

* RedHat: Important: openssh security update
  28th, September, 2006

Updated openssh packages that fix several security issues in sshd are
now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1. This update has been
rated as having important security impact by the Red Hat Security
Response Team.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125116

* RedHat: Important: php security update
  5th, October, 2006

Updated PHP packages that fix an integer overflow flaw are now
available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1. This update has been
rated as having important security impact by the Red Hat Security
Response Team.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125170

+---------------------------------+

* Slackware:   openssh
  29th, September, 2006

New openssh packages are available for Slackware 8.1, 9.0, 9.1, 10.0,
10.1, 10.2, and -current to fix security issues. More details about
these issues may be found in the Common
Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) database: CVE-2006-4924
CVE-2006-5051 CVE-2006-5052

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125123

* Slackware:   openssl
  29th, September, 2006

New openssl packages are available for Slackware 9.0, 9.1, 10.0,
10.1, 10.2, and -current to fix security issues. More details about
these issues may be found in the Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures
(CVE) database: CVE-2006-2937 CVE-2006-3738 CVE-2006-2940 CVE-2006-4343

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125124

* SuSE: kernel security problems
  28th, September, 2006

Various security problems were found and fixed in the Linux kernel.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125099

* SuSE: openssl security problems
  28th, September, 2006

Several security problems were found and fixed in the OpenSSL
cryptographic library.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125100