Linux Advisory Watch - September 15th 2006

|  LinuxSecurity.com                               Weekly Newsletter  |
|  September 15th 2006                          Volume 7, Number 38a  |

  Editors:      Dave Wreski                     Benjamin D. Thomas
                dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx          ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
security vulnerabilities that have been announced throughout the
week.  It includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of
each vulnerability.

This week, advisories were released for ethereal, Thunderbird, bind9,
openssl, firefox, isakmpd, zope, wireshark, adplug, libxfont, xine,
ffmpeg, php, squidguard, ncompress, xview, imagemagick, and apache.
The distributors include Debian, Gentoo, Mandriva, Red Hat, and
and SuSE.

---

Earn an NSA recognized IA Masters Online

The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic
Excellence in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled
Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched
consulting experience. Using interactive e-Learning technology, you
can earn this esteemed degree, without disrupting your career or home
life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/linsec/

---

Tips on keeping your Ubuntu Linux server secure

This article is excerpted from The Official Ubuntu Book by Benjamin
Mako Hill, Jono Bacon, Corey Burger, Jonathan Jesse and Ivan Krstic,
copyright Prentice Hall. Reprinted with permission of Prentice Hall,
all rights reserved.

As a system administrator, one of your chief tasks is dealing with
server security. If your server is connected to the Internet, for
security purposes, it's in a war zone. If it's only an internal
server, you still need to deal with (accidentally) malicious
users, disgruntled employees and the guy in accounting who really
wants to read the boss's secretary's e-mail.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124685/182/

Secure Linux/UNIX access with PuTTY and OpenSSH

Many users have implemented Secure Shell (ssh) to provide protected
access to a remote Linux system, but don't realize that by allowing
password authentication, they are still open to brute-force attacks
from anywhere on the internet. There are worms running rampant on
the internet which do an effective job finding weak username/
password combinations, and these are not stopped by the use of
Secure Shell.
Table of Contents

This Tech Tip details how to use the free PuTTY SSH client to
connect to a Linux system running the OpenSSH server, all while
using public key encryption and SSH agent support.

Much of this information applies to any OpenSSH installation on
any UNIX system - Solaris, *BSD, OpenServer - but we've targetted
this to the Linux platform when specifics are called for.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124374/179/

----------------------

* EnGarde Secure Community 3.0.8 Released
  1st, August, 2006

Guardian Digital is happy to announce the release of EnGarde
Secure Community 3.0.8 (Version 3.0, Release 8).  This release
includes several bug fixes and feature enhancements to the Guardian
Digital WebTool, several updated packages, and several new
packages available for installation.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/123902

---

Packet Sniffing Overview

The best way to secure you against sniffing is to use encryption.
While this won.t prevent a sniffer from functioning, it will ensure
that what a sniffer reads is pure junk.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/123570/49/

---

Review: How To Break Web Software

With a tool so widely used by so many different types of
people like the World Wide Web, it is necessary for everyone
to understand as many aspects as possible about its
functionality. From web designers to web developers to web
users, this is a must read. Security is a job for everyone
and How To Break Web Software by Mike Andrews and James A.
Whittaker is written for everyone to understand.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/122713/49/

--------

-->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!
-->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf

+---------------------------------+

* Debian: New ethereal packages fix execution of arbitrary code
  7th, September, 2006

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124861

* Debian: New Mozilla Thunderbird packages fix several problems
  8th, September, 2006

The latest security updates of Mozilla Thunderbird introduced a
regression that led to a disfunctional attachment panel which
warrants a correction to fix this issue.  For reference please find
below the original advisory text: Several security related problems
have been discovered in Mozilla and derived products such as Mozilla
Thunderbird.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124864

* Debian: New bind9 packages fix denial of service
  9th, September, 2006

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124883

* Debian: New openssl packages fix RSA signature forgery
cryptographic weakness
  10th, September, 2006

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124884

* Debian: New openssl096 packages fix RSA signature forgery
cryptographic weakness
  11th, September, 2006

Daniel Bleichenbacher discovered a flaw in OpenSSL cryptographic
package that could allow an attacker to generate a forged signature
that OpenSSL will accept as valid.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124895

* Debian: New Mozilla Firefox packages fix several vulnerabilities
  13th, September, 2006

The latest security updates of Mozilla Firefox introduced a
regression that led to a disfunctional attachment panel which
warrants a correction to fix this issue.  For reference please find
below the original advisory text: Several security related problems
have been discovered in Mozilla and derived products like Mozilla
Firefox.  The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project identifies
the following vulnerabilities: CVE-2006-3805 CVE-2006-3806
CVE-2006-3807 CVE-2006-3808 CVE-2006-3809 CVE-2006-3811

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124924

* Debian: New isakmpd packages fix replay protection bypass
  13th, September, 2006

A flaw has been found in isakmpd, OpenBSD's implementation of the
Internet Key Exchange protocol, that caused Security Associations to
be created with a replay window of 0 when isakmpd was acting as the
responder during SA negotiation.  This could allow an attacker to
re-inject sniffed IPsec packets, which would not be checked against
the replay counter.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124931

* Debian: New zope2.7 packages fix information disclosure
  13th, September, 2006

Updated package.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124938

+---------------------------------+

* Gentoo: Wireshark Multiple vulnerabilities
  7th, September, 2006

Wireshark is vulnerable to several security issues that may lead to a
Denial of Service and/or the execution of arbitrary code.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124857

* Gentoo: OpenSSL, AMD64 x86 emulation base libraries RSA signature
forgery
  7th, September, 2006

OpenSSL fails to properly validate PKCS #1 v1.5 signatures.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124858

* Gentoo: Motor Execution of arbitrary code
  7th, September, 2006

Motor uses a vulnerable ktools library, which could lead to the
execution of arbitrary code.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124859

* Gentoo: AdPlug Multiple vulnerabilities
  12th, September, 2006

Multiple heap and buffer overflows exist in AdPlug.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124919

* Gentoo: LibXfont, monolithic X.org Multiple integer overflows
  13th, September, 2006

Some buffer overflows were discovered in the CID font parser,
potentially resulting in the execution of arbitrary code with
elevated privileges.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124932

* Gentoo: xine-lib Buffer overflows
  13th, September, 2006

xine-lib is vulnerable to multiple buffer overflows that could be
exploited to execute arbitrary code.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124936

* Gentoo: FFmpeg Buffer overflows
  13th, September, 2006

FFmpeg is vulnerable to multiple buffer overflows that might be
exploited to execute arbitrary code.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124937

+---------------------------------+

* Mandriva: Updated bind packages fix DoS vulnerabilities
  8th, September, 2006

A vulnerability in BIND was discovered where it did not sufficiently
verify particular requests and responses from other name servers and
users.	This could be exploited by sending a specially crafted packet
to crash the name server. Updated packages have been patched to
address these issues.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124881

* Mandriva: Updated php packages fix vulnerabilities
  7th, September, 2006

The (1) file_exists and (2) imap_reopen functions in PHP before 5.1.5
do not check for the safe_mode and open_basedir settings, which
allows local users to bypass the settings (CVE-2006-4481). Buffer
overflow in the LWZReadByte function in ext/gd/libgd/gd_gif_in.c in
the GD extension in PHP before 5.1.5 allows remote attackers to have
an unknown impact via a GIF file with input_code_size greater than
MAX_LWZ_BITS, which triggers an overflow when initializing the table
array (CVE-2006-4484).

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124860

* Mandriva: Updated squidGuard to address logrotate issues
  8th, September, 2006

There was a typo in the logrotate script for squidGuard, which
triggered daily error messages via email from cron. The updated
packages have corrected this issue.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124882

+---------------------------------+

* RedHat: Moderate: mailman security update
  8th, September, 2006

Updated mailman packages that fix security issues are now available
for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 and 4. This update has been rated as
having moderate security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124865

* RedHat: Important: openssl security update
  8th, September, 2006

Updated OpenSSL packages are now available to correct a security
issue. This update has been rated as having important security impact
by the Red Hat Security Response Team.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124866

* RedHat: Low: wireshark security update
  12th, September, 2006

New Wireshark packages that fix various security vulnerabilities are
now available.	Wireshark was previously known as Ethereal. This
update has been rated as having low security impact by the Red Hat
Security Response Team.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124912

* RedHat: Low: ncompress security update
  12th, September, 2006

Updated ncompress packages that address a security issue and fix bugs
are now available. This update has been rated as having low security
impact by the Red Hat Security Response Team.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124913

* RedHat: Important: xorg-x11 security update
  12th, September, 2006

Updated X.org packages that fix a security issue are now available
for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. This update has been rated as having
important security impact by the Red Hat Security Response Team.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124914

* RedHat: Important: XFree86 security update
  12th, September, 2006

Updated XFree86 packages that fix a security issue are now available
for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1 and 3. This update has been rated as
having important security impact by the Red
Hat Security Response Team.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124915

* RedHat: Critical: flash-plugin security update
  12th, September, 2006

An updated Adobe Flash Player package that fixes security issues is
now available. This update has been rated as having critical security
impact by the Red Hat Security Response Team.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124920

+---------------------------------+

* SuSE: ImageMagick (SUSE-SA:2006:050)
  8th, September, 2006

Several security problems have been fixed in ImageMagick:
CVE-2006-3744: Several heap buffer overflows were found in the Sun
Bitmap decoder of ImageMagick during an audit by the Google Security
Team. This problem could be exploited by an attacker to execute code.
CVE-2006-3743: Multiple buffer overflows were found by the Google
Security team in the XCF handling due to incorrect bounds checking.
This problem could be exploited by an attacker to execute code.
CVE-2006-4144: An integer overflow in the ReadSGIImage function can
be used by attackers to potentially execute code.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124873

* SuSE: Apache2 security problems
  8th, September, 2006

The security fix for CVE-2005-3357 (denial of service) broke the
earlier security fix for SSL verification (CVE-2005-2700). This
problem has been corrected. Additionally a cross site scripting bug
with the "Expect" header error reporting was fixed (CVE-2006-3918).
The Apache foundation does not consider this a security problem.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/124874