Re: Ext 2/3 overwriting remnant data & use of data blocks - security

Hi there,

hell know wrote:

BACKGROUND:
Device under test uses temporary spool files. When those files are no longer needed, they are to be overwritten by the three-pass DOD overwrite (pattern '35', 'ca', '97'), then deleted. (Incase anyone out there asks the obvious question, I am aware that Ext supports a "secure" attribute but unfortunately that isn't enough for our purposes. It HAS to be a 3-pass overwrite... afterall that answer would be TOO EASY ;-). Also, the file is written and overwritten sequentially- that may be important to know when I get to the problem.

Well first of all, I don't think overwriting with known values is ok from security standpoint. Probably the better thing would be to overwrite it with random data.

That said, I guess you can write a shell script to use "shred" command instead of "rm" (if you are looking for a shell solution). Something like:

shred $1; shred $1; shred -u $1

If you are looking for your own solution, I guess looking how shred does it would be my first stop :)

bye,
N::