Linux Advisory Watch - April 23rd 2004

|  LinuxSecurity.com                        Linux Advisory Watch |
|  April 23rd, 2004                         Volume 5, Number 17a |

  Editors:     Dave Wreski                Benjamin Thomas
               dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx     ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
security vulnerabilities that have been announced throughout the week.
It includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
vulnerability.

This week, advisories were released for cvs, neon, perl, logcheck, kernel,
iproute, xchat, ident2, utempter, cadaver, libneon, MySQL, samba,
utempter, OpenSSL, tcp, IA64, XFree86, tcpdump, and xine.  The
distributors include Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, Mandrake, NetBSD, Red Hat,
Slackware, and Trustix.

----

>> Free Trial SSL Certificate from Thawte <<

Take your first step towards giving your online business a competitive
advantage. Test-drive a Thawte SSL certificate 02 our easy online guide
will show you how.

http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/newad_redirect.pl?id=thawten04

----

Data Classification

One of the biggest problems in security today is that business managers
and security administrators do not have a good idea of how much their
organization's proprietary data is worth.  Consider the example of a
company's client details or schematics for a new product.  How much money
should be spent to protect it?  Who should access it?  If this information
is leaked to competitors, how much impact would if have on the business?
If you aren't asking these types of questions, you should be.

One of the first steps in risk management in any organization is
determining the assets.  Later, a value is assigned to each asset and
known risks are either accepted, transferred, or mitigated. When
determining the value of an organization's information, it can very easily
become infinitely complex.

A technique commonly used to assist with the valuation of information is
data classification.  The concept involves assigning a label and in some
cases a classification to a piece of information, or a document.  For
example, documents in any government agency will be assigned labels such
as unclassified, classified, secret, or top secret.  Sometimes labeling is
more granular including labels such as unclassified but sensitive, or
internal.  Most governments implement this in slightly different ways.  A
security classification describes who the information is intended for.
For example, a budgeting document could be labeled classified and only
intended for the finance and accounting departments.  This means that the
document's label is classified and the classification is finance and
accounting.  In theory, only those individuals in the finance and
accounting departments with classified clearance should be able to access
that particular document.

Assigning labels to information gives security administrators a logical
way to create a protection strategy.  Appropriately applying security
controls can be easier if similar data is held in similar places.  Back to
the budgeting document example, because it is classified and intended only
for finance or accounting, it should only be stored on a confidential,
accounting or finance data-store/server.  It is not always necessary to
have separate servers for each label.  Segmentation can be done just as
easily by assigning group permissions to specific directories on a single
server.

Data classification allows managers to more easily determine the type and
quantity of information used by an organization. Also, it can simplify the
security administrator's role of providing consistent access control
across all information used.

Until next time, cheers!
Benjamin D. Thomas
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

----

Guardian Digital Launches Next Generation Internet
Defense & Detection System

Guardian Digital has announced the first fully open source system designed
to provide both intrusion detection and prevention functions. Guardian
Digital Internet Defense & Detection System (IDDS) leverages best-in-class
open source applications to protect networks and hosts using a unique
multi-layered approach coupled with the security expertise and ongoing
security vigilance provided by Guardian Digital.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-163.html

Interview with Siem Korteweg: System Configuration Collector

In this interview we learn how the System Configuration Collector (SCC)
project began, how the software works, why Siem chose to make it open
source, and information on future developments.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-162.html

>> Internet Productivity Suite:  Open Source Security <<

Trust Internet Productivity Suite's open source architecture to give you
the best security and productivity applications available. Collaborating
with thousands of developers, Guardian Digital security engineers
implement the most technologically advanced ideas and methods into their
design.

http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/newad_redirect.pl?id=gdn10

-->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!
-->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf

+---------------------------------+

 4/17/2004 - cvs
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   Patch fixes bugs for both server and client which allows the
   creation of arbitrary files.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4243.html

 4/17/2004 - neon
   Format string vulnerability

   These vulnerabilities could exploited by a malicious WebDAV server
   to execute arbitrary code with libneon's privileges.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4244.html

 4/19/2004 - perl
   Information leak vulnerabilities

   DSA 431-1 incorporated a partial fix for this problem.  This
   advisory includes a more complete fix which corrects some
   additional cases.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4245.html

 4/19/2004 - logcheck
   Insecure temporary directory

   This bug may be exploited to write or read arbitrary directories
   to which the user has access.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4246.html

 4/19/2004 - kernel
   2.4.17 Multiple vulnerabilities

   This patch takes care of multiple kernel vulnerabilities,
   specifially for kernal 2.4.17 on the PowerPC/apus and S/390
   architectures.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4247.html

 4/19/2004 - kernel
   2.4.19 Multiple vulnerabilities

   Several serious problems have been discovered in the Linux kernel.
   This update takes care of Linux 2.4.17 for the MIPS architecture.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4248.html

 4/19/2004 - zope
   Arbitrary code execution vulnerability

   A flaw in the security settings of ZCatalog allows anonymous users
   to call arbitrary methods of catalog indexes.  The vulnerability
   also allows untrusted code to do the same.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4249.html

 4/19/2004 - iproute
   Denial of service vulnerability

   Herbert Xu reported that local users could cause a denial of
   service against iproute, a set of tools for controlling networking
   in Linux kernels.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4250.html

 4/21/2004 - xchat
   Buffer overflow vulnerability

   This bug allows an attacker to execute arbitrary code on the
   users' machine.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4263.html

 4/22/2004 - ident2
   Buffer overflow vulnerability

   This vulnerability could be exploited by a remote attacker to
   execute arbitrary code with the privileges of the ident2 daemon
   (by default, the "identd" user).
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4269.html

+---------------------------------+

 4/21/2004 - utempter
   Improper directory traversal vulnerability

   An updated utempter package that fixes a potential symlink
   vulnerability is now available.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4265.html

+---------------------------------+

 4/19/2004 - cadaver
   Multiple format string vulnerabilities

   There are multiple format string vulnerabilities in the neon
   library used in cadaver, possibly leading to execution of
   arbitrary code.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-4251.html

 4/19/2004 - XChat
   Stack overflow vulnerability

   XChat is vulnerable to a stack overflow that may allow a remote
   attacker to run arbitrary code.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-4252.html

 4/19/2004 - monit
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   Two new vulnerabilities have been found in the HTTP interface of
   monit, possibly leading to denial of service or execution of
   arbitrary code.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-4253.html

+---------------------------------+

 4/19/2004 - utempter
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   Incorrect path validation and denial of service vulnerabilities
   are patched here.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-4257.html

 4/20/2004 - libneon
   Format string vulnerabilities

   A number of various format string vulnerabilities were discovered
   in the error output handling of Neon.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-4259.html

 4/20/2004 - xine-ui Temporary file vulnerability
   Format string vulnerabilities

   This problem could allow  local attackers to overwrite arbitrary
   files with the privileges  of the user invoking the script.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-4260.html

 4/20/2004 - MySQL
   Temporary file vulnerabilities

   An attacker could create symbolic links in /tmp that could allow
   for overwriting of files with the privileges of the user running
   the scripts.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-4261.html

 4/20/2004 - samba
   Privilege escalation vulnerability

   A user can use smbmnt along with a remote suid program to gain
   root privileges remotely.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-4262.html

 4/22/2004 - utempter
   Update to patch MDKSA-2004:031

   This patch corrects some small problems with the original utempter
   patch, released April 19th.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-4270.html

 4/22/2004 - xchat
   Improper execution vulnerability

   Successful exploitation could lead to arbitrary code execution as
   the user running XChat.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-4271.html

+---------------------------------+

 4/21/2004 - OpenSSL
   Denial of service vulnerabilities

   This patch fixes two seperate Denial of Service vulnerabilities.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/netbsd_advisory-4267.html

 4/21/2004 - tcp
   Denial of service vulnerability

   Patch modifies the TCP/IP stack to minimize the probability of a
   disconnection or data injection attack, even without using IPSec.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/netbsd_advisory-4268.html

+---------------------------------+

 4/19/2004 - kernel
   Multiple vulnerabiltiies

   Descriptions and links for the newest kernel patches.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/openwall_advisory-4256.html

+---------------------------------+

 4/21/2004 - kernel
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   Updated kernel packages that fix several minor security
   vulnerabilities are now available.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4266.html

 4/22/2004 - kernel
   Buffer overflow vulnerability

   Updated kernel packages that fix a security vulnerability which
   may allow local users to gain root privileges are now available.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4272.html

 4/22/2004 - IA64
   kernel Multiple vulnerabilities

   Updated IA64 kernel packages fix a variety of security
   vulnerabilities.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4273.html

 4/22/2004 - XFree86
   Denial of service vulnerability

   Flaws in XFree86 4.1.0 allows local or remote attackers who are
   able to connect to the X server to cause a denial of service.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4274.html

+---------------------------------+

 4/19/2004 - tcpdump
   Denial of service vulnerability

   Upgraded tcpdump packages are available for Slackware 8.1, 9.0,
   9.1, and -current to fix denial-of-service issues.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/slackware_advisory-4254.html

 4/19/2004 - cvs
   Arbitrary file creation vulnerabilities

   Two seperate cvs vulnerabilities, one for the client and one for
   the server, allow the creation of files at arbitrary paths.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/slackware_advisory-4255.html

 4/20/2004 - utempter
   Insecure symlink vulnerability

   Steve Grubb has identified an issue with utempter-0.5.2 where
   under certain circumstances an attacker could cause it to
   overwrite files through a symlink.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/slackware_advisory-4258.html

 4/21/2004 - xine
   Insecure temporary file vulnerability

   This release fixes a security problem where opening a malicious
   MRL could write to system (or other) files.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/slackware_advisory-4264.html

+---------------------------------+

 4/16/2004 - ppp/squid ACL escape vulnerability
   Insecure temporary file vulnerability

   The PPP fix is a simple bugfix. The Squid fix involves the ability
   to craft a URL to be ignored by Squid's ACLs.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/trustix_advisory-4241.html

 4/16/2004 - kernel
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   This patch fixes a variety of kernel sercurity holes, some
   filesystem related.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/trustix_advisory-4242.html

 4/22/2004 - kernel
   Integer overflow vulnerability

   A successful exploit could lead to full superuser privileges.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/trustix_advisory-4275.html