Re: research counting vulnerabilities per operating system? (more vulnerabilities in 2002?)

Morning jeremy,

I think that it's just due to the fact that windows is closed source
and linux is open. Just think if the public had access to windows
source code how many bugs would leak.

> Dr. Dobb's Journal for February 2004 has an article called
"Rethinking
> Software Security" that says "Linux had more vulnerabilities
reported and
> security patches issued in 2002 than Windows".
>
> The same article mentions CERT and www.SecurityFocus.com as best
> resources.
>
> I know I read some articles talking about which operating systems
have
> most issues. Can anyone provide some links?
>
> I also started with making a CERT chart for 2002 so I can quickly
count
> them myself. Does anyone know if that is already done?
>
> (I am using the webpages at
> http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/bypublic?open&start=510.)
>
> Building a chart based on securityfocus.com postings would be a lot
> harder.
>
> Just because ten vendors provide fixes or report vulnerabilities in
same
> software, that is only one single issue.
>
>    Jeremy C. Reed
>    http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

:eas: Eric Schulman
:syb: Sybah