Self-signed SSL cert vs. CA on same server

I'm implimenting an intranet web server and will need SSL.  I know of the
dangers of using a self-signed certificate.  I see it is trivial to create a
Certificate Authority (CA) but is it really more secure?  In other words,
couldn't someone still craft a man-in-the-middle attack?

Ideally, I'd place the CA on the same box as the web server, but I can move it
if that's more secure.

=====
/dev/idal
"GNU/Linux is free freedom" --Me