Re: SSH thru HTTP? Sounds backwards.

> He asked me "is it possible for someone inside my organization to twart
> security by ssh tunneling thru my HTTP proxy server to a destination SSH
> server listening on port 80".  I don't know what http proxy he's running and
> we didn't talk about SSL or 443 proxy - I'm assuming the same rules would
> apply.

Either using httptunnel, to make all outbound traffic look like
real HTTP access (requires an httptunnel server on the remote end)
which will go happily through even a application gateway, or by
just running an SSH server on the remote end on port 80 (sshd -p 80)
and connecting to it that way (sssh -p 80 remote host) s.t. it may
be allowed outbound by straight packet filters, etc.

See some pretty pictures at
http://www.ifokr.org/bri/presentations/secureworld-2003/mgp00034.html

--
Brian Hatch                  "Do you understand
   Systems and                everything you say, sir?"

Every message PGP signed