Re: SSH thru HTTP? Sounds backwards.

Yes it is possible and they can bypass any proxies in the middle.  Someone
I know actually set that up so that their friend could bypass the
restrictions of their ISP.  A person can setup an Apache server as a proxy
on a remote site and have it accept connections from the local interface:
127.0.0.1.  Then someone who has an account on that server can ssh in like
this:

ssh -C -L 1080:127.0.0.1:80 <remote server>

Then they can set their browser's proxy settings to: 127.0.0.1 port 1080

then anywhere they surf on the Internet will be over that SSH connection
and through the remote server running the Apache proxy.

They could also use a program like cgiproxy to bypass the proxy at their
organization if they use SSL or use the same situation above.

The way to catch it is to watch for continuous or frequent SSH streams to
a remote server outside the user's organization.

--
duane

while [ !sleep ]

  sheep++ ;