Linux Advisory Watch - October 3rd 2003

|  LinuxSecurity.com                        Linux Advisory Watch |
|  October 3rd, 2003                        Volume 4, Number 39a |

  Editors:     Dave Wreski                Benjamin Thomas
               dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx     ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
security vulnerabilities that have been announced throughout the week.
It includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
vulnerability.

This week, advisories were released for proftpd, openssl, marbles,
freesweep, webfs, OpenSSL, mpg123, teapop, and proftpd.  The distributors
include Conectiva, Debian, Guardian Digital's EnGarde Linux, Gentoo,
Immunix, Red Hat, Trustix, and Turbolinux.

>> FREE Apache SSL Guide from Thawte  <<

Are you worried about your web server security?  Click here to get a FREE
Thawte Apache SSL Guide and find the answers to all your Apache SSL
security needs.

 Click Command:
 http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/newad_redirect.pl?id=vertad_thawteapache

---

Last week, I wrote about some of the problems that are associated with
using passwords as a method of authentication.  There are several
techniques that can be utilized to improve password security, however,
users often have such a large number of different passwords they can
become difficult to manage.  Users are forced to remember multiple
passwords to different systems on different networks.  This causes users
to write down or continuously need their passwords reset.

Single sign-on is a technology that can be implemented to relieve some of
the strain that passwords put on users and administrators. With SSO,
multiple passwords become invisible to the user because they are only
required to login initially then the credentials are sent to each
application by the way of the single sign-on system.

Initially, migrating from a traditional password structure can be a
daunting task.  The problem is particularly apparent when trying to
connect legacy applications.  However, the headaches will quickly go away
if the system includes the ability for users to reset their own password
using other credentials that were given at their initial connection to the
system.  This functionality could be extremely beneficial to enterprise
size organizations that must reset hundreds of passwords a day.

A single sign-on system is not the holy grail.  Like any feature on a
network, it provides its own set of risks.  Having a SSO system provides a
single point of failure.  If the system is down, every application on the
network is potentially down. There are always tradeoffs between security
and convenience, but many large organizations have felt that this is a
risk worth taking.  Although SSO provides the possibility of having a
single point of failure, it is also possible to configure the system so
that it is redundant, providing service if one system goes down.
Implementing a system correctly requires a great deal of planning, time,
and money.

Until next time, cheers!
Benjamin D. Thomas
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--> FEATURE: R00ting The Hacker
Dan Verton, the author of The Hacker Diaries: Confessions of Teenage
Hackers is a former intelligence officer in the U.S. Marine Corps who
currently writes for Computerworld and CNN.com, covering national
cyber-security issues and critical infrastructure protection.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-150.html

--> EnGarde GDSN Subscription Price Reduction
Guardian Digital, the world's premier open source security company,
announced today that they will be reducing the annual subscription cost of
the Guardian Digital Secure Network for EnGarde Community users from $229
to $60 for a limited time.
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-151.html

--> FEATURE: A Practical Approach of Stealthy Remote Administration
This paper is written for those paranoid administrators who are
looking for a stealthy technique of managing sensitive servers
(like your enterprise firewall console or IDS).

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-149.html

-->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!
-->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf

+---------------------------------+

 9/29/2003 - proftpd
   Arbitrary code execution vulnerability

   An attacker who is able to upload and download the same file can
   exploit this vulnerability to execute arbitrary code with root
   privileges.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/connectiva_advisory-3689.html

 9/30/2003 - openssl
   ASN.1 parsing vulnerabilities

   An SSL/TLS testing suite developed by the NISCC (UK National
   Infrastructure Security Co-Ordination Centre) uncovered ASN.1 parsing
   vulnerabilities in OpenSSL. Exploitation of these vulnerabilities may
   result in a denial of service.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/connectiva_advisory-3694.html

+---------------------------------+

 9/26/2003 - marbles
   Buffer overflow vulnerability

   Steve Kemp discovered a buffer overflow in marbles, when processing the
   HOME environment variable.  This vulnerability could be exploited by a
   local user to gain gid 'games'.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3686.html

 9/28/2003 - freesweep
   Buffer overflow vulnerability

   Steve Kemp discovered a buffer overflow in freesweep, when processing
   several environment variables.  This vulnerability could be exploited
   by a local user to gain gid 'games'.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3687.html

 9/29/2003 - webfs
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   Multiple vulnerabilities including unauthorized access and buffer
   overflow have been fixed.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3690.html

+---------------------------------+

 9/30/2003 - OpenSSL
   ASN.1 parsing vulnerabilities

   An SSL/TLS testing suite developed by the NISCC (UK National
   Infrastructure Security Co-Ordination Centre) uncovered ASN.1 parsing
   vulnerabilities in OpenSSL.  Exploitation of these vulnerabilities may
   result in a denial of service.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/engarde_advisory-3693.html

+---------------------------------+

 9/29/2003 - media-video/mplayer Buffer overflow vulnerability
   ASN.1 parsing vulnerabilities

   A remotely exploitable buffer overflow vulnerability was found in
   MPlayer. A malicious host can craft a harmful ASX header, and trick
   MPlayer into executing arbitrary code upon parsing that header.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-3691.html

 9/29/2003 - net-ftp/proftpd Remote file compromise vulnerability
   ASN.1 parsing vulnerabilities

   ISS X-Force discovered a vulnerability that could be triggered when a
   specially crafted file is uploaded to a proftpd server.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-3692.html

 9/30/2003 - mpg123
   Buffer overflow vulnerability

   mpg123 contains a heap based buffer overflow that would allow an remote
   attacker to execute arbitrary code on the victims machine.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-3695.html

 9/30/2003 - teapop
   SQL Injection vulnerability

   teapop suffers from a sql injection in the postgresql and mysql
   authentication module.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-3696.html

+---------------------------------+

 9/30/2003 - ASN.1 Parsing vulnerabilities

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/immunix_advisory-3697.html

+---------------------------------+

 9/30/2003 - OpenSSL
   ASN.1 Parsing vulnerabilities

   An SSL/TLS testing suite developed by the NISCC (UK National
   Infrastructure Security Co-Ordination Centre) uncovered ASN.1 parsing
   vulnerabilities in OpenSSL. Exploitation of these vulnerabilities may
   result in a denial of service.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-3698.html

+---------------------------------+

 9/29/2003 - 'proftpd' remote exploit
   ASN.1 Parsing vulnerabilities

   An error exists in the ASCII upload handling of Proftpd version 1.2.7
   and later that can be used to trigger an buffer overflow and thus
   execute arbitrary code.  This has now been fixed.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/trustix_advisory-3688.html

 9/30/2003 - proftpd
   ASCII File Remote Compromise Vulnerability

   A vulnerability exists in the ProFTPD server that can be triggered by
   remote attackers when transferring files from the FTP server in ASCII
   mode.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/turbolinux_advisory-3699.html