Linux Advisory Watch - August 1st 2003

|  LinuxSecurity.com                        Linux Advisory Watch |
|  August 1st, 2003                         Volume 4, Number 30a |

  Editors:     Dave Wreski                Benjamin Thomas
               dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx     ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
security vulnerabilitiaes that have been announced throughout the week.
It includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
vulnerability.

This week, advisories were released for mnogosearch, perl, sup, conq,
gallery, xtokkaetama, kernel, stunnel, openssh, and kdelibs. The
distributors include Conectiva, Debian, Mandrake, Red Hat, and Turbo
Linux.

 Captus Networks:
 Integrated Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping

  - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
  - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
  - Ensure Reliable Performance of Mission Critical Applications
  - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security and
    Performance Policies

   **FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit**

     ==> WhitePapers - Live Demo:
     ==> http://linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=captus0

Last week I wrote about the importance of building a business case for
security projects.  We are now in the third quarter, which means it is
time to seriously begin doing research and developing a 2004 budget.  For
some, a 2004 budget will just be an extension of 2003.  For most others,
2004 will mean a slight increase in money.  Companies are increasing
becoming optimistic and are planning accordingly.  Is a business case for
each security project enough to justify spending?  Several years ago, yes.
However, in today.s volatile climate every penny spent must be justified.
The second piece of justification is a ROI analysis.

What is ROI and why is it important?  Simply put, ROI is an acronym for
return on investment.  It can be calculated by dividing a project.s net
benefit to an organization by the total cost.  A ROI analysis is a
document that is used to show the benefits of a project in quantitative
terms.  It can be included as a section in a business case, or presented
separately as an independent document.  A ROI analysis may also include
total cost of ownership calculations and a cost/benefit analysis.

To create a successful ROI analysis, several types of information must be
included.  In most cases, it is best to begin with an executive summary.
In this, project objectives, signification project factors, and a brief
overview of the project implementation plan should be included.  Although
it may be tempting to add details, it is best to remain high-level.  The
executive summary is usually the first section read, therefore should not
be overwhelming.  Next, a major section of the document should be devoted
to technology.  In this, existing technology should be described.  What
systems and processes are currently in use?  What will remain in use?
What will be removed?  Also, a moderately detailed description of new
technology that will be implemented as a result of the project should be
described.

The most significant piece of a ROI analysis is the business analysis.
It should include a description and listing of business drivers (that
which has a positive impact on the business).  The business analysis
section should include tables that show initial project investment and
recurring costs.  Because the project is security related, it is
particularly important to show costs if no investment.

The ROI analysis should conclude with a short summary that outlines the
monetary benefits of adopting the particular project.  It should also
include a brief project overview. Although I.ve given you several ideas of
what should be included in an ROI analysis, it is by no means set in
stone. It is important to remember that the document must be molded to fit
your organization.

Until next time,
Benjamin D. Thomas
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Expert vs. Expertise: Computer Forensics and the Alternative OS

No longer a dark and mysterious process, computer forensics have been
significantly on the scene for more than five years now. Despite this,
they have only recently gained the notoriety they deserve.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-147.html

>> FREE Apache SSL Guide from Thawte <<
Are you worried about your web server security?  Click here to get a FREE
Thawte Apache SSL Guide and find the answers to all your Apache SSL
security needs.

 Click Command:
 http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=thawte25

REVIEW: Linux Security Cookbook

There are rarely straightforward solutions to real world issues,
especially in the field of security. The Linux Security Cookbook is an
essential tool to help solve those real world problems. By covering
situations that apply to everyone from the seasoned Systems Administrator
to the security curious home user, the Linux Security Cookbook
distinguishes itself as an indispensible reference for security oriented
individuals.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-145.html

-->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!
-->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf

+---------------------------------+

 7/28/2003 - mnogosearch
   mulitple vulnerabilities

   There are mulitple buffer overflow vulnerabilities in mnogosearch.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/connectiva_advisory-3499.html

 7/29/2003 - perl
   CGI.pm XSS vulnerability

   There is a cross site scripting vulnerability in the CGI.pm perl
   module.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/connectiva_advisory-3500.html

+---------------------------------+

 7/29/2003 - sup
   insecure tmp file vulnerability

   sup fails to take appropriate securityprecautions when creating
   temporary files.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3501.html

 7/30/2003 - xconq
   buffer overflow vulnerabilities

   Steve Kemp discovered a buffer overflow in xconq, in processing
   theUSER environment variable.  In the process of fixing this bug,
   a similar problem was discovered with the DISPLAY
   environment variable.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3503.html

 7/31/2003 - gallery
   XSS vulnerability

   Larry Nguyen discovered a cross site scripting vulnerability in
   gallery,a web-based photo album written in php.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3504.html

 7/31/2003 - xtokkaetama
   XSS vulnerability

   Steve Kemp discovered two buffer overflows in xtokkaetama, a
   puzzlegame, when processing the -display command line option and
   theXTOKKAETAMADIR environment variable.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3505.html

+---------------------------------+

 7/25/2003 - kernel
   kernel packages fix multiple vulnerabilitie

   Multiple vulnerabilities were discovered and fixed in the Linux
   kernel.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-3497.html

+---------------------------------+

 7/25/2003 - stunnel
   Signal vulnerability

   Updated stunnel packages are now available for Red Hat Linux 7.1,
   7.2, 7.3,and 8.0.  These updates correct a potential vulnerability
   in stunnel'ssignal handling.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-3498.html

 7/29/2003 - openssh
   information leak vulnerability

   Under certainconditions, OpenSSH versions prior to 3.6.1p1 reject
   an invalidauthentication attempt without first attempting
   authentication using PAM.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-3502.html

+---------------------------------+

 7/31/2003 - kdelibs
   authentication vulnerability

   Konqueror may unknowingly distribute website    authentication
   credentials to third parties with links on the password
   protected website.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/turbolinux_advisory-3506.html

==> INTRODUCING: Secure Mail Suite from Guardian Digital <==

Unparalleled E-Mail Security. Secure Mail Suite is the most Dynamic,
Rigorous Protection for Your Email System on the market today. It Clobbers
Spam.  Detects and Disables Viruses. And its Killer Firewall Keeps Your
Data -- and Your System and Safe and Secure. All in an Easy-to-Manage
Application that's Simple to Administer and Maintain.

Secure Mail Suite is Guardian Digital's Optimum Solution to Mail Security.
It's based on Open-Source Engineering, so it's constantly Improving.  And
with Guardian Digital Engarde Support, Secure Mail Suite Stays On Guard
for You -- for Many Reliable Years.

Secure Mail Suite. Sweet!
  From the First Name in Open-Source Security. Guardian Digital.

 --> http://guardiandigital.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=mailnews2