From: security-discuss-bounce@linuxsecurity.com
[mailto:security-discuss-bounce@linuxsecurity.com]On Behalf Of Ray Dart
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 5:29 AM
To: security-discuss@linuxsecurity.com
Subject: Re: Help please

I have been chasing hackers and would-be hackers for years now. I agree with
everything that Matt says - but don't be put you off chasing these people.

Occasionally you will get a result - and the more that ISPs get fed up with
repeated reports of misuse and abuse the more likely they are to take action
against the real offenders (where they can be positively identified).

Ray Dart

on 3/2/03 10:00 AM, BUNTER MATTHEW at Matthew.Bunter@renaultvi.com wrote:

> --- Reçu de       VITEUR.BUNTERMA 04 72 96 57 77           03/02/03 11.26
>
> I would first advise caution.
>
> The IP address that you have may or may not be owned by said hacker. I
> would find out who owns the address (using whois, nslookup etc) then mail
> their abuse@whoever.com mailbox - most ISPs have them. Be polite, tell
> them only the facts, do not ellaborate or make supositions. You need to
> be 150% sure that the address you supply is the one that hacked your
> proxy - if you aren't sure this could backfire badly. Provide evidence of
> connection times, duration, if you can see the commands passed so much
> the better.
>
> This is a google link that may be of help
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=what+to+do+if+hack
> ed
>
> Finally if this is in another country good luck!
>
> Regards,
>
> Matt

> Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 11:56:06 -0800
> Subject: Help please
>
> Help Please
>
> Some one hes hacked my proxy can some please tell me i have got there ip.
> how can i go about convicting them.

---

believed to be clean.