Re: Unable to handle kernel paging

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Östlund" <mo@microsaft.nu>
To: <security-discuss@linuxsecurity.com>
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2003 11:14 AM
Subject: Re: Unable to handle kernel paging

> [--snip--]
>

> > What kind of hard drive? If the hard drive is having a read error when
> > attempting to grab a chunk of virtual memory stored on the swap
partition,
> > that is a critical error which will freeze any process or thread relying
on
> > that chunk of memory.  Your WWW server may be running just fine because
it's
> > currently retained in RAM and not swapped out.
>
> Thanks alot for your great tips.
>
> It's an old FUJITSU MPC3032AT at about 2Gb.
>
> If it's an harddrive error, wouldn't the logs say something about
> Drive SeekError { xxxxxxx }  as it "should" be when the harddrive is
> damaged?

Correct you'd be, BUT, that's assuming another process is requesting the
drive data. Since it's an "internal" kernel function to be stopping all
processes in order to swap the virtual memory into place, I think some
"usual" logging is disabled at that critical moment.

You'd have to ask a "kernel genius" if that is in fact possible.