Re: scanning

Thanks for the info. i will go for snort and come up with confusions later.
Thanks all
Paras.
Alberto Gonzalez writes:
Ethereal is just a sniffer. I believe paras wanted to be notified of any suspicious activity.
I suggest running snort in NIDS mode to have snort inspect the packets against its ruleset.
Snort will log to a DB, ascii file, sub directories, However you want it.
You want e-mail notification, I suggest logging to syslog (-s option) and using swatch to
watch syslog and e-mail you when it see's something. (This will be ALOT of e-mails).
Anything else you want to do?
Cheers,
Alberto Gonzalez.
PS> If you just want to sniff, use tcpdump.
SchmiTTT wrote:
Hello,
ethereal
or
snort
besides:
does anybody know, where the source-code of 'xconsole' is ???
Regards
Tino.