Linux Advisory Watch - December 20th 2002

|  LinuxSecurity.com                        Linux Advisory Watch |
|  December 20th, 2002                      Volume 3, Number 51a |

  Editors:     Dave Wreski                Benjamin Thomas
               dave@linuxsecurity.com     ben@linuxsecurity.com

Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
security vulnerabilitiaes that have been announced throughout the week.
It includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
vulnerability.

This week, advisories were released for wget, kernel, fetchmail, mysql,
openldap, micq, libpng, squirrelmail, net-snmp, exim, apache, lynx-ssl,
perl, and tcpdump.  The distributors include Conectiva, Debian, EnGarde,
Gentoo, Mandrake, Red Hat, and Trustix.

If It Ain't Broke See If It's Fixed - Attackers are still compromising
servers with well-known attacks. General awareness can assist the busy
administrators and users to protect their systems from these kinds of
attacks. SANS provides a list of the Top 20 most common security
vulnerabilities, how to identify each, and what can be done to protect
against these vulnerabilities.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-132.html

CONCERNED ABOUT THE NEXT THREAT? EnGarde is the undisputed winner!
Hardened Linux Puts Hackers EnGarde! Winner of the Network Computing
Editor's Choice Award, EnGarde "walked away with our Editor's Choice award
thanks to the depth of its security strategy..." Find out what the other
Linux vendors are not telling you.

http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=engarde2

Network Security Audit - "Information for the right people at right time
and from anywhere" has been the driving force for providing access to the
most of the vital information on the network of an organization over the
Internet. This is a simple guide on conducting a network security audit.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-131.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: wget                  | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 12-13-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

The vulnerability resides in the way wget handles server answers to LIST
and multiple GET requests. If the filenames in the answer begin with
characters pointing to parent directories (like "../" or "/"), wget can
download files to that location, thus overwritting arbitrary files.

Vendor Alerts:

 Conectiva:
  ftp://atualizacoes.conectiva.com.br/8/RPMS/
  wget-1.8.2-1U80_1cl.i386.rpm

  Conectiva Vendor Advisory:
  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/connectiva_advisory-2664.html

 Debian:
  http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/
  w/wget/wget_1.5.3-3.1_i386.deb
  Size/MD5 checksum:   227812 fc7c576836d26cebc397c07f3bbd1488

 Debian Vendor Advisory:
 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-2661.html

 Trustix:
  Trustix Vendor Advisory:
  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/trustix_advisory-2689.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: kernel                | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 12-13-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

Christophe Devine reported[1] a vulnerability in versions prior to 2.4.20
of the linux kernel that could be exploited by a local non-root user to
completely "freeze" the machine. A local attacker could exploit this
vulnerability to cause a Denial of Service (DoS) condition. This update
fixes this problem.

Vendor Alerts:

 Conectiva:
  PLEASE SEE VENDOR ADVISORY FOR UPDATE

  Conectiva Vendor Advisory:
  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/connectiva_advisory-2673.html

 Trustix:
  Trustix Vendor Advisory:
  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/trustix_advisory-2685.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: fetchmail             | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 12-16-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

Stefan Esser discovered[1] a buffer overflow vulnerability in fetchmail
versions prior to 6.1.3 (inclusive) that can be exploited remotelly with
the use of specially crafted mail messages. By exploiting this the
attacker can crash fetchmail or execute arbitrary code with the privileges
of the user running it.

Vendor Alerts:

 Conectiva:
  ftp://atualizacoes.conectiva.com.br/8/RPMS/
  fetchmail-5.9.12-1U80_3cl.i386.rpm

  ftp://atualizacoes.conectiva.com.br/8/RPMS/
  fetchmailconf-5.9.12-1U80_3cl.i386.rpm

  ftp://atualizacoes.conectiva.com.br/8/RPMS/
  fetchmail-doc-5.9.12-1U80_3cl.i386.rpm

  Conectiva Vendor Advisory:
  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/connectiva_advisory-2674.html

 Gentoo:
  Gentoo Vendor Advisory:
  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-2666.html

 Red Hat:
  Red Hat Vendor Advisory:
  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-2676.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: mysql                 | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 12-17-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

The server vulnerabilities can be exploited to crash the MySQL server,
bypass password restrictions or even execute arbitrary code with the
privileges of the user running the server process. The library ones
consist in an arbitrary size heap overflow and a memory addressing problem
that can be both exploited to crash or execute arbitrary code in programs
linked against libmysql.

Vendor Alerts:

 Conectiva:
  PLEASE SEE VENDOR ADVISORY FOR UPDATE

  Conectiva Vendor Advisory:
  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/connectiva_advisory-2678.html

 Debian:
  Debian Vendor Advisory:
  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-2675.html

 EnGarde:
  EnGarde Vendor Advisory:
  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/engarde_advisory-2660.html

 Mandrake:
  Mandrake Vendor Adivsory:
  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-2681.html

 OpenPKG:
  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-2670.html

 Gentoo:
  Gentoo Vendor Advisory:
  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-2665.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: openldap              | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 12-19-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

The vulnerabilities consists mainly in buffer overflows in both the
OpenLDAP server and in the libraries provided with the OpenLDAP package.
Some of these vulnerabilities can be exploited by attackers remotely or
locally to compromise the OpenLDAP server or applications linked against
the vulnerable libraries.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/connectiva_advisory-2682.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: lynx                  | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 12-19-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

lynx (a text-only web browser) did not properly check for illegal
characters in all places, including processing of command line options,
which could be used to insert extra HTTP headers in a request.

Vendor Alerts:
 Debian:
  http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/l/lynx/
  lynx_2.8.3-1.1_i386.deb
  Size/MD5 checksum:   973310 9f591d8c7e97b1bd84da2f841397a75c

  http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/l/lynx-ssl/
  lynx-ssl_2.8.3.1-1.1_i386.deb
  Size/MD5 checksum:   980678 ef6cf5f0e4a8781b14876639fafa78be

  Debian Vendor Advisory:
  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-2662.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: micq                  | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 12-13-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

Rdiger Kuhlmann, upstream developer of mICQ, a text based ICQ client,
discovered a problem in mICQ.  Receiving certain ICQ message types that do
not contain the required 0xFE seperator causes all versions to crash.

Vendor Alerts:

 Debian:
  http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/m/
  micq/micq_0.4.3-4.1_i386.deb
  Size/MD5 checksum:	42682 1ed0c823d4ccc05bc9e2070c15a687be

  Debian Vendor Advisory:
  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-2663.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: libpng                | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 12-19-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

Glenn Randers-Pehrson discovered a problem in connection with 16-bit
samples from libpng, an interface for reading and writing PNG (Portable
Network Graphics) format files.  The starting offsets for the loops are
calculated incorrectly which causes a buffer overrun beyond the beginning
of the row buffer.

Vendor Alerts:

 Debian:
  http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/libp/libpng/
  libpng2_1.0.5-1.1_i386.deb
  Size/MD5 checksum:	93642 adaf7a70c5c96cc86dd37e3e97662749

  http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/libp/libpng/
  libpng2-dev_1.0.5-1.1_i386.deb
  Size/MD5 checksum:   174272 55f53fa4fd4c4f4c56a9b6d89e466f21

  Debian Vendor Advisory:
  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-2683.html

|  Package: squirrelmail          | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 12-15-2002               |

read_body.php didn't filter out user input for 'filter_dir' and 'mailbox',
making a xss attack possible.

Vendor Alerts:

 Gentoo:

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-2668.html