Linux Advisory Watch - November 29th 2002

|  LinuxSecurity.com                        Linux Advisory Watch |
|  November 29th, 2002                      Volume 3, Number 48a |

  Editors:     Dave Wreski                Benjamin Thomas
               dave@linuxsecurity.com     ben@linuxsecurity.com

Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
security vulnerabilitiaes that have been announced throughout the week.
It includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
vulnerability.

This week, advisories were released for pine, samba, python, sendmail,
kernel, and mod_php. The distributors include Conectiva, Debian, Guardian
Digital's EnGarde Secure Linux, Mandrake, Red Hat, Slackware, SuSE, and
Trustix.

 Concerned about the next threat? EnGarde is the undisputed winner!
 Hardened Linux Puts Hackers EnGarde! Winner of the Network Computing
 Editor's Choice Award, EnGarde "walked away with our Editor's Choice
 award thanks to the depth of its security strategy..." Find out what the
 other Linux vendors are not telling you.

 http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=engarde2

Security: MySQL and PHP (3 of 3) - This is the third installation of a 3
part article on LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP). In order to safeguard a
MySQL server to the basic level, one has to abide by the following
guidelines.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-130.html

FEATURE:  Security: Physical and Service (1 of 3) - The first installation
of a 3 part article covering everything from physical security and service
security to LAMP security (Linux Apache MySQL PHP).

 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-128.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: pine                  | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 11-22-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

It is possible for an attacker to bypass the restrictions imposed by The
Sendmail Consortium's Restricted Shell (SMRSH) and execute a binary of his
choosing by inserting a special character sequence into his .forward file.
SMRSH is an application intended as a replacement for sh for use in
Sendmail.

Vendor Alerts:

 SuSE:
  ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/8.1/rpm/
  i586/pine-4.44-224.i586.rpm
  8c32d5571d7488e31f693a884dedb81e

  SuSE Vendor Advisory:
  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/suse_advisory-2607.html

 EnGarde:
  i386/pine-4.50-1.0.9.i386.rpm
  MD5 Sum: ff1db113dcddb5b64f5e62231deb44bc

  i686/pine-4.50-1.0.9.i686.rpm
  MD5 Sum: a82c4318b516f0a2990e4ad286e01646

  ftp://ftp.engardelinux.org/pub/engarde/stable/updates/

  EnGarde Vendor Advisory:
  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/engarde_advisory-2614.html